How's your season going

GSP1983

Howdy Montanans,
How's your public land season been going this year near the rocky mountain front? More specificically near Dutton, Geyser, Lewistown, Belt, Choteua areas?
For you folks who tend to get private access, how do you get hold of the land owner if they dont live on the land you want access to? I have admittedly had a pretty tough season finding birds. So much so that I have been totally skunked more days than I've shot birds. It has been Frustrating.

There state sections and parcels of land here and there that have the habitat for some good pheasant hunting. As far as the Federal lands, BLM and Forest service, very little pheasant habitat there.
BM lands, some are good and many aren't, just takes a lot of time and exploring to get into the decent stuff.
I know finding the landowners can be hard. Check with the nearest neigbors and go from there?
I didn't get West of Lewistown this past Fall. The East has some decent bird hunting. But the loss of the grasslands going to wheat and other crops is everywhere and extensive.

Reports from Choteau were more birds than last year. Around Western Mt, pheasant numbers were off 20% from last year. We put up a fair number of hens but very few roosters.

Back