Howdy from western ND

Labs

Howdy, Labs (Jon) from ND here. I live on a 10 acre place about 10 miles north of New England, ND. For those who don't know, that is literally Rooster Central in ND. I'm a retired law enforcement Captain from a dept in NE ND, where I spent 34 years. Up there about the only pheasant hunting to be had was pheasants released by the local sportsmen's club (productive if a guy has good gundogs), so 95% of our hunting was field hunting waterfowl. When I moved out here last October to pursue a second career as an armed private security contractor in the petro-chem field, our hunting and gundog focus (I raise & train labs) changed to 95% upland.

Rooster hunting has been pretty darn good, up from last year. My labs and I can generally get a limit after work, and for a quick fix or hunt for my 14 year old queen gundog Betty, I can walk the acre or so of sorghum I planted this spring. Yesterday that resulted in a mass 4 rooster flush that looked like an illustration from Outdoor Life magazine back in the 60s. One stayed for dinner and became the primary ingredient in a pot of pheasant wild rice soup.

Looking forward to seeing what the rest of the pheasant hunting fraternity is up to.

Back