HOW BOUT some eastern Montanna hunt reports!!!

Not much of a report but FWP's website says that everything East of a line drawn from Shelby to the SE corner of the state suffered severe winter kill and you can expect reduced pheasant and even Sharptail populations this year in spite of, and to some extent because of, the wet spring.
A good source of info in Plentywood said that the winter kill in that area was severe but very spotty. One area of a couple of miles in size was decimated but another a mile or two away did OK. You'll have to just hunt the whole thing I guess.
Although "Shorty" in Plentywood is getting pretty long in the tooth(92 last year) I hope he was able to feed the birds through the winter like he does with silo sweepings. Nicest guy in the world and funny as heck. He's the guy with the 5 gallon plastic buckets in the back of his pickup and his name in wrought iron above the bed of his truck.

NE Montana Pheasants

I scouted NE Montana for pheasants 3 days last week. From Glasgow to Flaxville to Medicine Lake to Culbertson to Vida and up to Wolf Point. The pheasant population is dismall at best. With a very harsh winter and a cold wet flooded Spring- the birds are few and very far apart.

East Montana Report

I'm back, been out there for a week. Covered a lot of area. Hiked from first light to about 10-11 am, hiking 4-6 miles each day. Nice weather 50's 60's then it got hot up to 101 degrees Wed afternoon. Started out from Culbertson, North Plentywood to Ophiem through the badlands then South to the Breaks. Hitting the best upland areas I know of along the way. Got 5 Sharptails and 1 Hun total. I have not had a problem in the past limiting on Sharptails at my spots. Adult birds only, hopefully there is enough left for seed.

Pheasants, there are some very young broods, doubt if there will be much color by the opener and probably to young to survive cold weather.

Then there's the cover, endless patches of shoulder high Sweetclover, tall thick grasses. What very few birds there are will be very difficult to hunt. Walking through the Sweet Clover is worse then Cattails.

There are some birds and a hard days hunt should get a few shots.

Back