Hoping for a better year!

daryl1801

This year was not so good --lost lots of crp -lost lots of tree rows -lost lots of great hunting grounds to paid outfitters--and paid hunters--plots were over hunted-didnt see a lot of birds in se nd-saw lots of birds on posted land that I was denided access too--had too work a lot of weekends and the weekends I did go It was either windy - or rainy-or snowing or too cold--sorry for whining so much I just had to vent. Pheasant fest in comming to mn. this year maybe that will get me back into the groove again.Maybe next year will be much better and more acess to do more pheasant hunting!

SE ND's "pheasant landscape theme" is especially vulnerable to higher crop prices because of its better farming soil. In general, farming trumps pheasants. The solution is higher CRP incentives or mandated land "soil banks" with compensation to the landowner/farmer. If we value pheasant hunting, there should be a healthy balance of farming and habitat. Good pheasant hunting is good economics for rural "pheasant belt" America. Three months of very good pheasant hunting adds a lot to the local economy.

Good luck with that! The farmers around here are going to tear up all the land they can! $$$$$

Last edited:
Didn't hunt ND in 012, Probably will again in 013.
What I hear from out West ND there are pheasants where there is good cover.
I know good cover is getting harder to find.
Sounds like the Winter has been brutal out there? Bad for pheasants, good for the coyotes.
Lets hope for some Winter thaws and a nice mild Spring, weather is such a big factor in that open country.

Ya, I know. We're going to need a lot of that! - Good luck, that is. It's too bad that pheasant hunting is just considered mostly as a side show to the farming industry. Let's say there are about 200-400,000 hard-core bird hunters that hunt "out west". If 300,000 hunters paid $125.00 per year into a fund that was used exclusively to pay landowners to "set-aside" 10 percent of the land for habitat/grass, it would be well worth it. That would be $37,500,000 per year. At $75.00 per acre, that would "set-aside" 500,000 acres of land - a good start and would be BIG together with the CRP program. The CRP program can handle the $45-65.00 per acre land while "our fund" would take care of or supplement more valuable land.

This is a concept only. The numbers were provided for the purpose of debate and discussion only. What's your thoughts on the "concept".

This is a concept only. The numbers were provided for the purpose of debate and discussion only. What's your thoughts on the "concept".

The concept is fine................. But it will never happen. Whenever you mention things like added fees or increasing licenses, you bring out all the unrealistic guys that think farmers should set aside half their land and then allow unlimited access to hunters. This is all to be done on principle. After all look at all their new pickups and combines, they obviously can afford to lose some income. You would never get that many people to commit that kind of money to that.

I took the road from Jamestown to Minot a couple times last Fall. (59 I think?)Sad to see all the good Pheasant country burning up. Fires everywhere cleaning up the shelterbelts, farmsteads, cattails. Making all these seemingly endless fields.

And the landowners are getting money from the government to do it.:eek:
Since the USDA and USF&W outlawed non native trees and scrubs it give landowners and excuse.

Times have changed, and not a good thing for a lot of pheasant country.:(

Back