Herters 16 ga. Shells at Cabelas

Dakotazeb

If you are on Cabelas web site and click on Shooting, then Ammunition, then select 16 gauge it will only pull up one box of shells, Federal Steel. So it would appear that the Herters 16 ga. shell are not available. But if you go to their search box at the top of the home page and type in "Herters 16" it will pull them up. Just a FYI.

Wow, $8/box! Anyone know what type of shot? Chilled, magnum, plated??? Anyone experienced w/ these shells? Good/bad/otherwise?

Do a search for Herters on this site and you should come up with some threads regarding the Herters shells and performance. I've only used the dove and quail loads. Overall, what I remember about reviews on them is that they are a decent shell. I think a few had issues in them functioning well in auto loaders. The price is right, buy a box and give 'em a try.

I’ve shot probably 6-7 cases in 16 and 12 gauge both for sporting clays and dove. No complaints whatsoever. I just ordered 2 more flats of 16 gauge, on sale. $62.99 a case, $6.29 a box.

And better yet; they are PURPLE.

Last edited:
Had no idea they had them in 16ga and I got a Cabelas one mile from my house near Sun Prairie. Glad you posted that. I’ll run over tomorrow and pick up a case, and a case of 20ga.

Dad buys them by the case to get hulls for our loading. They're a cheddite hull from Italy. Reload decent enough, not STS or AA quality, but not too many options in a 16.

They had a Herters pheasant load too in 6s at Cabelas in 16 ga. I just ordered the Federal pf1635 from Reeds so I passed on that and ordered a case of the Herters 16 ga. dove load for trap. I like the Federal load in 5s. They recoil some but has been a good load for me.

These are images of Herter's 1 1/8, 7 1/2 1280 fps loads from an A5 Sweet Sixteen (new A5) through a DS Trulock IC Precision Hunter Choke. The first pattern was at 30 yards and the second at 40. For put and take birds the combination should be sufficient. I had similar results with the Invector Trulock IC Precision Hunter in a Citori White Lightning 16 and BPS 16 gauge.

View attachment 8616View attachment 8617

These are images of Herter's 1 1/8, 7 1/2 1280 fps loads from an A5 Sweet Sixteen (new A5) through a DS Trulock IC Precision Hunter Choke. The first pattern was at 30 yards and the second at 40. For put and take birds the combination should be sufficient. I had similar results with the Invector Trulock IC Precision Hunter in a Citori White Lightning 16 and BPS 16 gauge.
Bob Ross, eat your heart out! I love these! Happy little BB marks all over the place. I think you should have an exhibit & sell them. Or donate to PF or DU banquets?? These are awesome.

Just purchased a new Sweet 16. I received a $100 gift card for my birthday. I was in the process of checking out on the Cabela's site with the gift card and had forgot to go on the gift card site to register the card to my name. I had a case of Herter's load for skeet in my cart. Went to register my gift card, and when I went back to my cart the sale had ended and the price went back to normal price. DARN!!! Just a heads up if you are going to use a prepaid gift (Visa, AMEX, or Master Card) card on the Cabela's site register your gift card before using.

Found Rio at Natchez for $8.19/box see how they shoot in the Sweet 16..........

Wow, $8/box! Anyone know what type of shot? Chilled, magnum, plated??? Anyone experienced w/ these shells? Good/bad/otherwise?

In December, I had one shell hang up and another wouldn't chamber - it appeared to be deformed. These were 20 ga. 1oz. #5, 2.75. I won't buy these again...

Last edited:
Ditch-chicken. 16 gauge Herters 6’s are back on sale at Cabelas. $4.88 a box. I just ordered 40 boxes (4 flats). Sale price is by box only. FYI

Ditch-chicken. 16 gauge Herters 6’s are back on sale at Cabelas. $4.88 a box. I just ordered 40 boxes (4 flats). Sale price is by box only. FYI
Strange, now they are completely gone again......hoping they put more up online for sale. The RIO I purchased shot OK but they are $8.19/box The Herters rounds are about the cheapest 16 gauge bang for the buck shell out there if you are looking for rounds for some trigger time.

Strange, now they are completely gone again......hoping they put more up online for sale. The RIO I purchased shot OK but they are $8.19/box The Herters rounds are about the cheapest 16 gauge bang for the buck shell out there if you are looking for rounds for some trigger time.

Rumor on some other sites that this last big sale was the clearance sale for them and they will no longer be sold.

Rumor on some other sites that this last big sale was the clearance sale for them and they will no longer be sold.

I’m afraid that appears to be true. 16 gauge Herters have been sold out a week or so now. They still show up from time to time but says out of stock when you try to order.

I’m afraid that appears to be true. 16 gauge Herters have been sold out a week or so now. They still show up from time to time but says out of stock when you try to order.
Pretty new to the site so I really don't know a lot of members here but I'd be interested in doing a "group buy" on 16ga ammo if there was a member that can sell ammo to a bunch of us. Seems it's becoming harder and harder to find. Club I shoot skeet at can't get any Fiocchi 16ga They have been trying and trying to get it. It seems to be back ordered.

Back