Here's my pipe dream

* aside, a remark or passage in a play that is intended to be heard by the audience but unheard by the other characters in the play.

I had done some map scouting and worked out a plan for my pipe dream hunt. It revolved around a sleepy piece of public ground that I've hunted twice before. The first time, as I was cooking a cheeseburger on my portable grill in the parking lot, an eccentric but not unfriendly adjacent landowner pulled up to chat. He was slightly older, smoking a cigarette, and probably not in the best of health. He asked about the hunting and before I could say a word remarked that there's just not any birds on this piece anymore. Not wanting to counter his narrative, I agreed with him. After awhile he drove off, and inside I was relishing the next time I could hunt this piece again, because it had proven so fruitful and had produced multiple roosters for the game bag and many others who got away. I'm sure as I type this the multitude of birds currently roosting on this very property would astound a great many people. A forgotten corner of the state that didn't show as an area flush with pheasants back when the roadside counts were done. Nevertheless, it has not nor ever will be forgotten by me. Barring an act of God or Nature I will be there again sometime in the future, chasing the abundance of roosters which call this place home. Dreams of the fall, hunting wild birds, and following a good bird dog through excellent cover... this keeps me going day in and day out.

Whelp, the pipe dream has went down the drain. The starter on my truck is on the fritz. I talked to my mechanic buddy Sunday at the trap club and he's two weeks out. I'd love nothing more than to watch Skye run unfettered through the wild South Dakota prairie for a precious few days. Alas alack, tis not to be. Seasons in life, like seasons in hunting come and go. I won't tell all this to Skye, I'll still take her out to chase wild roosters a few times in MN sans gun. Good luck you guys still hunting. I can't wait till October.
Not too big a deal to change out the starter on your own.....youtube will help you get it figured out if it's your first time.

* aside, a remark or passage in a play that is intended to be heard by the audience but unheard by the other characters in the play.

I had done some map scouting and worked out a plan for my pipe dream hunt. It revolved around a sleepy piece of public ground that I've hunted twice before. The first time, as I was cooking a cheeseburger on my portable grill in the parking lot, an eccentric but not unfriendly adjacent landowner pulled up to chat. He was slightly older, smoking a cigarette, and probably not in the best of health. He asked about the hunting and before I could say a word remarked that there's just not any birds on this piece anymore. Not wanting to counter his narrative, I agreed with him. After awhile he drove off, and inside I was relishing the next time I could hunt this piece again, because it had proven so fruitful and had produced multiple roosters for the game bag and many others who got away. I'm sure as I type this the multitude of birds currently roosting on this very property would astound a great many people. A forgotten corner of the state that didn't show as an area flush with pheasants back when the roadside counts were done. Nevertheless, it has not nor ever will be forgotten by me. Barring an act of God or Nature I will be there again sometime in the future, chasing the abundance of roosters which call this place home. Dreams of the fall, hunting wild birds, and following a good bird dog through excellent cover... this keeps me going day in and day out.
Cut bank

Back