Henry Shotgun

BritChaser

Henry, the maker of Henry rifles, is in the shotgun business. It offers a single shot break-action gun. If I were shopping for a gun, this might be my choice. My theory is that with only one shot you will shoot better. Also nice and light for long treks on the high plains. My two cents worth. Anyone have one?

Last edited:
I still have a couple of Savage single shots. Definitely easy to carry. I usually need more than one shot.

It has been my experience that most single shot shotguns fit poorly and point poorly. They also exhibit excessive felt recoil.

Well built target guns are the exception to this.

Many people I grew up with started hunting with H&R and similar single shot shotguns. I have zero desire to carry or shoot one again.

Sometimes out of a sense of nostalgia I’m tempted to carry one again. So far I’ve overcome the urge and left them at home.

I know a couple of guys that hunt pheasants with old BT99 trap shotguns. The only thing I don't like is they don't have a safety. I have a BT99 myself but have no desire to hunt with it.

I know a couple of guys that hunt pheasants with old BT99 trap shotguns. The only thing I don't like is they don't have a safety. I have a BT99 myself but have no desire to hunt with it.

I would find some other people to hunt with.

I admit to a bias for old singles and have a couple of venerable Hercules (Stevens via Montgomery Wards branding) 12 and 20s, and a couple of NEFs.

Buy the Henry if it makes you happy. Field guns' recoil is rarely felt when hunting; it's the repetitive jolt at skeet or trap that really gets your attention. There's a far greater focus priority when a bird is up and you're tracking and shooting, at least in my experience.

Have a good New Year.:thumbsup:

OLD THREAD: https://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.com/forum/showthread.php?12840-The-Single-shot-season-begins

Last edited:
David0311

SERIOUSLY?? No safety? Are these guys off their meds.? Anyone who would hunt with them are dumber than they are—If possible-

If anyone wants to buy a single barrel to shoot I would suggest looking for a Savage 220A or 220B. They are hammer-less with an auto safety. Nice guns. I still have my 220A in .410 that I bought in 1956.

There's a far greater focus priority when a bird is up and you're tracking and shooting, at least in my experience.

Yeah, what recoil?

I have the brass version of this and a single shot in 20 gauge and a rifle in 44 mag from them as well. Comparing it to a single shot from h and r is an insult to this firearm and the only thing they really have in common is the capacity and action classification. The Henry has a great trigger pull now (was rougher in earlier models) but a complementary upgrade is available for people like myself in a recall, which I took advantage of. The action is tight and smooth and wood to metal finish is flawless. If you have a problem with 1 shot, hammers, or ribless shotguns it may not be the gun for you. However when I was looking for a shotgun that I could use after the quality double I grew up on (steel shot regulations) was too expensive to shoot. I wanted a break action, nice wood, made in us for under 1000. This fit the bill. I have not looked back and hope that they will make it in 28 g soon. Have no plans to upgrade. Will likely by 410 bore soon.

Back