Hemp/CBD Oil for Dogs

We just started giving our two old Labs the oil about 10 days ago. The 14 year old has arthritic rear leg joints due to ACL surgery on both sides. The 13 year old has a bad left front elbow due to surgery on that.

We're just hoping it makes it a bit easier for them to move around, get up and down. So far it seems to have made them a bit more "flexible" if that's the word; they seem to move easier. Both of them seem to show a bit less discomfort. We're going to keep it going for a month and the decide if it's really doing anything.

I have a friend who runs agility with an older german shepard. He swears by it, says the dog is more flexible and happier, which means he runs faster, more competitive. Don't know if there are any studies out there with it yet. I always give my older dogs glucosamine which seems to help them, although I have never found any studies to back that up.

We just started giving our two old Labs the oil about 10 days ago. The 14 year old has arthritic rear leg joints due to ACL surgery on both sides. The 13 year old has a bad left front elbow due to surgery on that.

We're just hoping it makes it a bit easier for them to move around, get up and down. So far it seems to have made them a bit more "flexible" if that's the word; they seem to move easier. Both of them seem to show a bit less discomfort. We're going to keep it going for a month and the decide if it's really doing anything.

What do you think of the CBD oil so far? I have a bigger vizsla that just pounds the ground when he runs and I'm afraid the toll is adding up to be paid soon. I went to a local CBD shop to check it out and it was outrageously expensive for the dog treats. I may continue to research some cheaper options if it seems to be working for folks.

My friend buys the oil and uses a dropper on the dog's food. He says it's way cheaper in Alaska than in Washington. Don't know of the legality of flying with it or mailing it.

What do you think of the CBD oil so far?

Well we're about 20 days in. First, we use the bottled oil and dropper; the treats don't have much CBD in them and are expensive as you say. They get one dropper on their dog food morning and night. The oil is about $30 per one ounce where we get it. Doesn't last that long with two dogs.

(Yeah, yeah, before anyone starts in..feed once a day, I know. Been doing it this way for only about 35+ years and it works for me. They are only getting about 3/4 cup of premium dry each feeding and holding their weight nicely. I think I'll give it another 35 years and then make up my mind. :) )

So far we think it really helped the 14 year old and only a little on the 13 year old. The 14 year old definitely got more active and spry. The 13 year old with the left elbow problem is maybe a little better but it seems it has made her more sleepy/lethargic most of the day. She's moving a bit better though when we're outside with dummies.

Going to keep it up another bottle or two and then take a break and see if we notice a roll back in flexibility and "spry-ness".

There are a lot of people and companies selling Hemp (CBD) Oil on the internet, etc. But please beware of many of them. Tests have been done on many Hemp Oil products and a large number of them contain much less Hemp Oil than stated on the product. If someone is selling it for was seems a very good price the chances are it may not be full strength. From the reading and research I have done on Hemp/CBD Oil the recommended strength for dogs is 300 mg. A good quality CBD Oil in that strength will run about $40 per ounce. In comparison, 1,000 mg for adult people will cost about $80 per once. Another thing to look for is what else is in the product in addition to CBD Oil. The good ones may contain one additional ingredient like Coconut oil. If there are several other ingredients listed it's probably not full strength and stay away from it.

As for the legality of Hemp/CBD Oil the Federal farm bills of 2014 and 2018 approved Hemp. However, there are a couple of states that still have not approved it. South Dakota being one of them. My understanding is there is a bill in the South Dakota legislature this year to approve Hemp but the new governor has said she will veto it. Not sure what her reasoning is but I don't think she understands what Hemp actually is.

Well we're about 20 days in. First, we use the bottled oil and dropper; the treats don't have much CBD in them and are expensive as you say. They get one dropper on their dog food morning and night. The oil is about $30 per one ounce where we get it. Doesn't last that long with two dogs.

(Yeah, yeah, before anyone starts in..feed once a day, I know. Been doing it this way for only about 35+ years and it works for me. They are only getting about 3/4 cup of premium dry each feeding and holding their weight nicely. I think I'll give it another 35 years and then make up my mind. :) )

So far we think it really helped the 14 year old and only a little on the 13 year old. The 14 year old definitely got more active and spry. The 13 year old with the left elbow problem is maybe a little better but it seems it has made her more sleepy/lethargic most of the day. She's moving a bit better though when we're outside with dummies.

Going to keep it up another bottle or two and then take a break and see if we notice a roll back in flexibility and "spry-ness".

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it. I'd be interested to see how it helps or doesn't when you stop. I'd think that would be a great indicator of it's effectiveness. Let me know what you think if you could please.

Side note. I feed twice a day too. :)

My friend buys the oil and uses a dropper on the dog's food. He says it's way cheaper in Alaska than in Washington. Don't know of the legality of flying with it or mailing it.

this stuff is not regulated for quality or strength.........this is a cottage industry recently gone wild, just be careful and do your due diligence.

Davi0311

You think there might be any danger of your other wise hard core retriever—watching a bird go down and—

Turn to you with a look that says—OH WOW MAN COOL—HEY DUDE YOU BETTER GO PICK THAT BIRD UP MAN:):rolleyes:

You think there might be any danger of your other wise hard core retriever—watching a bird go down and—

Turn to you with a look that says—OH WOW MAN COOL—HEY DUDE YOU BETTER GO PICK THAT BIRD UP MAN:):rolleyes:

No THC in hemp oil.

I gave JP CBD before and after his amputation for pain management and it's anti inflamitory properties. I think it helped him quite a bit and since it has little or no THC there are no "high" side effects.

Im worried about my dogs getting the munchies. they all ready eat to much

Zeb, did you ever find something for your dogs allergies? Are they seasonal?

Here's something I know works, at least it did for my dog who occasionally (not every year) has a flare up. It's called Apoquel which is prescription only, but it stops the itching/scratching quickly. I had a two week supply for $41 from the vet. After that ran out the itching never came back.

Zeb, did you ever find something for your dogs allergies? Are they seasonal?

Here's something I know works, at least it did for my dog who occasionally (not every year) has a flare up. It's called Apoquel which is prescription only, but it stops the itching/scratching quickly. I had a two week supply for $41 from the vet. After that ran out the itching never came back.

Never have figured out the source of her allergies. However, they are not severe and we have controlled any itching/biting with Cytopoint injections. Each injection is about $65 and lasts 10-12 weeks. Cytopoint is made by the same company that makes Apoquel but Cytopoint is said to have a lot less potential side effects.

I think you can, because cats can be sure! Dogs often get injured and need painkillers, but pills are very dangerous. Usually, the pain from such injuries takes a very long time. And this oil helps a lot. My cat is old, it often hurts something and it suffers a lot. The vet also prescribed CBD oil for cats. That helped her a lot, too. I buy CBD oil from thehempire store. I advise you to try it. See if there's one for dogs, too.

Last edited:
I used it when my dog had very hard pains after a surgery. It helped her a lot to get well. Pets shouldn't even smell it! I had been smoking cigarettes and cannabis before I discovered vaping for me, especially with cbd oil, because of this i became much happier becausei didn't need anymore to go out. I was slowly replacing smoking with vaping. The best alternative for cannabis is cbd juulpods what i am buying from online at knockoutcbd. It has similar effect as usual cannabis and the taste is amazing!

Last edited:
Back