Hello from Arkansas

GoldenHearts

Thanks for allowing me in to your group. I’m not a hunter but I have a young field bred golden retriever that I’m just crazy about and I’d love to learn as much as I can about the breed. It appears that y’all have a lot of experience and insight into what makes this sort of dog tick. It’s so fascinating to me that I sometimes wonder if I ought to take a look at learning how to hunt.

Attachments

• IMG_2914.jpeg
    IMG_2914.jpeg
    676.3 KB · Views: 1
Here you go: https://www.google.com/search?chann...o+live+with+a+young,+healthy+Golden+Retriever

and

Don't hit the dog, you don't need to yell at it, and if you provide stuff it likes, it will do stuff for you that YOU like.

It wants company, approval, exercise, and (gradually) responsibility to assume its role in the new pack. Give it time to mature.

Have fun. Keep in mind, it is better to prevent the dog from doing something wrong that to punish it for having done so.

Here you go: https://www.google.com/search?channel=fenc&client=firefox-b-1-d&q=learning+to+live+with+a+young,+healthy+Golden+Retriever

and

Don't hit the dog, you don't need to yell at it, and if you provide stuff it likes, it will do stuff for you that YOU like.

It wants company, approval, exercise, and (gradually) responsibility to assume its role in the new pack. Give it time to mature.

Have fun. Keep in mind, it is better to prevent the dog from doing something wrong that to punish it for having done so.
Thanks for the link to a search for exactly what I’m looking to learn more about! For what it’s worth, I’ve never had any cause to even think of hitting my dog, and even if I did I’d only ask myself how I’d failed him.

Here you go: https://www.google.com/search?channel=fenc&client=firefox-b-1-d&q=learning+to+live+with+a+young,+healthy+Golden+Retriever

and

Actually the information that that search brought up is not exactly what I’m interested in. I’ve learned from personal experience and by reading everything I think exists on the internet about golden retrievers before. Unfortunately, 99% of it pertains to conformation goldens. Sure they share much the same characteristics as they’re both truly golden retrievers. But there’s a significant difference between the two types of golden retriever dogs, namely their ability to focus and their drive to retrieve. It’s those sorts of things that I’m interested in learning more about.

Actually the information that that search brought up is not exactly what I’m interested in. I’ve learned from personal experience and by reading everything I think exists on the internet about golden retrievers before. Unfortunately, 99% of it pertains to conformation goldens. Sure they share much the same characteristics as they’re both truly golden retrievers. But there’s a significant difference between the two types of golden retriever dogs, namely their ability to focus and their drive to retrieve. It’s those sorts of things that I’m interested in learning more about.
Imo get a labrador.

I have a year old field Golden from goldenboy on this site. He would be a great point of contact - but I would look into a local training/gamefarm to see how your pup reacts to clipped birds.

This is my goldens first season and so far she is coming into her own on blue grouse.

That sounds like a good idea. The breeder might be able to help me with that. Happy to hear that about your girl. I’d love to see her picture.

Back