Hello all!

GRitter

I've been a deer hunter for over 40 years here in PA and recently took an interest in bird hunting.
I think my interest was boosted when I found a beautiful early Winchester 101 in 20 gauge.
This has been a grail piece for me ever since shooting one that belonged to the father of a friend back in the mid-80s.
I fell in love with it but never thought I'd find one.
Then, due to kids, work, grandkids, & life in general happened and I gave up on ever having one until a few weeks ago.
I'm now the proud owner of a stunning example and can't wait to take it into the field or just shoot some skeet.
I look forward to participating in the discussions here and learning from all of you who have a lifetime of experience.
Happy hunting :)

Last edited:
Welcome, I have a Winchester 101 12ga Waterfowler I use on clays. It will stay in the family as a legacy gun.
That's what I'm thinking with this 101, my son or grandson will get it. Hopefully, before they do I can instill in them an appreciation for vintage shooters like this and my old Model 94.

Welcome from Iowa. The home of incresingly limited opportunities...to pheasant hunt. Hang around, add to discussions and realize that this activity happens in such different locations, types of habitat, conditions, different types of dogs and amounts of pressures to the birds, that what seems absurd in one location, might be necessary or beneficial in another. It took me a bit to realize the vast range of much of this and not think "this guy doesn't have a clue", when reading some posts here.

Welcome, I have a Winchester 101 12ga Waterfowler I use on clays. It will stay in the family as a legacy gun.
I'd like to know how to determine which model mine is and its approximate age. (the serial number starts with K232XXX)
I've seen several models mentioned like "skeet/skeet", and "Waterfowler", etc but have no idea which model mine is.
Its 26" barrels are choked to I/C & Mod with a blued receiver (I mention that because I've seen a few pictures of some 101's with chrome receivers or gold inlaid pheasants, etc...)
Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Back