Headed south

cjc5f9

Heading out for OK Wednesday if all goes right. Just gotta pick up a Garmin Alpha a buddy of mine is lending me (my older TT gave out this past week, hope I don't get hooked on that fancy alpha) and it's south for about a week. Looking to go to the west for some public land quail hunting. Only got in a few coveys this year, the couple times I got down home to NEMO, hope to put the young dogs (2yr and 1yr) on a few coveys, extend the season a bit and see some new country. The weather appears pretty pleasant, highs in the 50s or so, and I think I got all I need. With that said, didn't know if anybody had any general advice, especially on conditions/cover the dogs would be exposed to (cactus, etc.) or just things I may not have considered being a new place and all. Thanks for any info/comments.

-cjc

There are birds. This late they'll probably be closer or deeper in cover. Be sure to carry a multi tool or needle nose in your vest for porcupine quills.

SW has more prickly pear while NW has more sand burs. Need boots on dogs sometimes for the sand burs.

Regarding the Alpha.... you'll need one for good after you use it. I have an Astro and don't know how I did without all these years.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck!

There are birds. This late they'll probably be closer or deeper in cover. Be sure to carry a multi tool or needle nose in your vest for porcupine quills.

SW has more prickly pear while NW has more sand burs. Need boots on dogs sometimes for the sand burs.

Regarding the Alpha.... you'll need one for good after you use it. I have an Astro and don't know how I did without all these years.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck!

+1. Also be prepared for some running birds. You'll get a nice point and by the time you get there they are 30-50 yards away and your dog will be resetting.
I'm either getting worse at my wingshooting, or the low hanging fruit has been shot already. They also are smarter. Flushing behind a cedar and you don't see where they go, and knowing I'm ducking under a tree branch. At least that's what I tell myself.

Thanks! That's exactly the kind of thing I am looking for... ran into a few porcupines out west, quite a pain, lucky my dogs aren't aggressive with them... pretty excited for some quail hunting! Much appreciated

They do seem to get pretty wiley this time of year... the phez have got me pretty used to the running... sure I will be humbled and the dogs frustrated with my shooting by the end of the trip.

Just got back from out there. This was my 3rd trip from Michigan. I would say bird numbers are down from 3 weeks ago when I was there. I think some of the smaller covey's joined and made big covey's. Not sure if the ice storm killed off any but my guess is yes. I will say, I had great dog work on the covey's we did find but they were wild. I also think the birds may just be scattered too, didn't find many in the draws but found good covey's in the sage flats. Good luck out there.

Back from OK. Had a good time, good bird numbers on a couple days. Way different territory than I am used to hunting quail in, felt a bit like I was just wandering. Dogs had some great opportunities on coveys and did pretty well. My shooting took a day or two to come around but got some nice point, shoot, retrieves. Thanks for the advice guys, I agree that they seemed to be getting pretty skittish and sometimes the coveys were pretty far between, but most were nice sized coveys.

Back