Gun Lubrication

I do not know if I believe this. I do know that wd40 gets gummy over time, much like fish oil. I have experimented with wd40 & fish off of dock in clear water. I dropped a spoon amongst a school of bluegills & they scattered. The next day, the same spoon with wd40 sprayed on it attracted them. I was running a 40’ head boat with 20 customers on it & a 10 lb fire extinguisher fell off of a bulkhead & emptied right between me & the mate. Our rods & reels were between us & the extinguisher. 8 hours later, all 20 customers had caught fish. The mate & I had none, I usually catch more than my share. I went home & showered, then sprayed my tackle with a hose & then wd40. The next day on the boat, I went right back to catching fish as normal for me.
I tried it for catfish. Didn't work..

I do not know if I believe this. I do know that wd40 gets gummy over time, much like fish oil. I have experimented with wd40 & fish off of dock in clear water. I dropped a spoon amongst a school of bluegills & they scattered. The next day, the same spoon with wd40 sprayed on it attracted them. I was running a 40’ head boat with 20 customers on it & a 10 lb fire extinguisher fell off of a bulkhead & emptied right between me & the mate. Our rods & reels were between us & the extinguisher. 8 hours later, all 20 customers had caught fish. The mate & I had none, I usually catch more than my share. I went home & showered, then sprayed my tackle with a hose & then wd40. The next day on the boat, I went right back to catching fish as normal for me.
Fish oil would be too expensive. WD-40 contains LVP Aliphatic Hydrocarbon,Aliphatic Hydrocarbon,Petroleum Base Oil,Carbon Dioxide

There is no documentation that WD-40 damages blued steel. WD-40 is useful on a wet firearm to displace water in the field
and then use a proper lubricant once back to indoors.

Am i the only one who runs an o/u dry during upland season? If i open/close it 10 times that was a great day, or i crossed a lot of fences.

The last thing you ever want is sand/dirt/grit mixing with that oil/grease in the field and acting like grinding compound. That will wear parts faster than running dry for 100-200 openings during the season.

I use grease on the hinge parts and extractor slides while at the range and during dove season.

I use barricade on the barrels and receiver to avoid rust year around.

I think it collects dust, and can turn gummy or into a varnish. I know a guy who works on locks, he told me never spray wd-40 into a lock. I would use it on a gun if in a pinch. But when I got home I would rub it off and clean with clp or a regular gun oil. I wouldn't leave it on a surface long term.

I think it collects dust, and can turn gummy or into a varnish. I know a guy who works on locks, he told me never spray wd-40 into a lock. I would use it on a gun if in a pinch. But when I got home I would rub it off and clean with clp or a regular gun oil. I wouldn't leave it on a surface long term.
Ditto

Am i the only one who runs an o/u dry during upland season? If i open/close it 10 times that was a great day, or i crossed a lot of fences.

The last thing you ever want is sand/dirt/grit mixing with that oil/grease in the field and acting like grinding compound. That will wear parts faster than running dry for 100-200 openings during the season.

I use grease on the hinge parts and extractor slides while at the range and during dove season.

I had a malfunction with my 16ga Citori out in the field in SD weekend before last. It would only shoot one barrel and not switch to the second after each shot. I got back to the lodge and sprayed into the firing pins with some Balistol. That seemed to do the trick. When I got home I took the stock off to see what was going on. Mind you, this gun only has one season on it and is basically brand new. The internals had some light evidence of powder residue and some other brown looking gunk. I took the action outside and hosed it down with brake cleaner and scrubbed the heck out of it with a tooth brush, then hit it again with brake cleaner. That seemed to do the trick on the junk. I hit the bearing surfaces with Eezox and a very light coating of moly grease to a couple points. That really did the trick. It is super reactive now on the triggers with snap caps. I am anxious to shoot it again.

I had a malfunction with my 16ga Citori out in the field in SD weekend before last. It would only shoot one barrel and not switch to the second after each shot. I got back to the lodge and sprayed into the firing pins with some Balistol. That seemed to do the trick. When I got home I took the stock off to see what was going on. Mind you, this gun only has one season on it and is basically brand new. The internals had some light evidence of powder residue and some other brown looking gunk. I took the action outside and hosed it down with brake cleaner and scrubbed the heck out of it with a tooth brush, then hit it again with brake cleaner. That seemed to do the trick on the junk. I hit the bearing surfaces with Eezox and a very light coating of moly grease to a couple points. That really did the trick. It is super reactive now on the triggers with snap caps. I am anxious to shoot it again.
That's how I do a deep clean once in a while. But be careful with the brake cleaner because it will damage some wood finishes!

Will be going afield soon. Should I oil my gun (Citori)? Haven't done so in recent memory. If so, where? Thanks!
Turbine fan motor oil works great won’t get stiff in cold weather damp on cloth over metal slight wipe with dry cloth don’t ever leave wet film collect dirt and powder residue.

Sounds like you never cleaned out the cosmoline at purchase? When I was young and had no clue i never cleaned my Beretta 686 after purchase. 15 years later i did a tear down clean and found the action covered in cosmoline. Never had a mishap though.

Sounds like you never cleaned out the cosmoline at purchase? When I was young and had no clue i never cleaned my Beretta 686 after purchase. 15 years later i did a tear down clean and found the action covered in cosmoline. Never had a mishap though.
I am not sure the stuff I cleaned out was cosmoline. It was not that dark or thick and it was within the internals of the action, not superficial like locking lugs, etc.

I was taught by a gunsmith to always grease the bearing surfaces on my over/unders.
I have 2 Citoris that I have used heavily since the early 1980s (40+ years!)
so I will continue to grease the bearing surfaces.
I break open the gun about 20 times on an average hunt, crossing fences, streams, ditches,
taking rain gear off or on, whenever I stop to talk to anyone, etc.

I average over 100 rounds per week, hunting every weekday then sporting clays on weekends.

Back