Gun and Ammo Question

Dami0101

Hi,

I’m going to be partaking in a quail hunt at a local game farm in a few weeks but I’ve never hunted quail before, heck last year was my first year hunting pheasants. I’m wondering if I’m ok with my 12 gauge or if I should borrow my uncles 20 gauge? Also, the place we are hunting is steel shot only, is 7 and 6 shot ok or should I be using a larger shot because it’s steel?

Thanks.

While Quail are traditionally hunted with smaller gauges, there is certainly nothing wrong with using what your used to or most comfortable with, being your 12 ga.

If non-tox is a must my first choice would be (if you can find it) Kent Bismuth in a 12ga. loading 1-1/16 oz. of #6 shot. It's the smallest shot size they offer and is roughly equivalent to #6 lead in density. If steel is the only option I personally would still go with #6 in say a 1oz load. A relatively open choke in either of these should be fine. Game farm Quail are not always the best flyers from my experiences, so expect the possibility of low flying birds which presents safety issues with dogs nearby. NO bird is worth a dog being shot....

Other than that have fun....:thumbsup:

I agree with birdshooter...the 12 is fine but smaller gauges are less "damaging" to the bird. I rarely shoot steel and have no professional opinion but I would prefer 7.5 or 8's and the lightest load you could find in the 12. Good luck and have fun; that's the main thing.

I agree with birdshooter...the 12 is fine but smaller gauges are less "damaging" to the bird. I rarely shoot steel and have no professional opinion but I would prefer 7.5 or 8's and the lightest load you could find in the 12. Good luck and have fun; that's the main thing.

I think the OP said he had to use steel (non tox). I could be wrong, but I'm not aware of any factory steel loadings in 7.5 or 8's. I think #7 is the smallest and those are marketed as target loads.

I think it is time to buy a new gun! Can I give you some talking points to go over with your wife/significant other?
1. But the gun I have is not the proper gun for the birds I will be shooting.
2. I have a need to be versatile and ready to shoot whatever the situation dictates.
3. This is the opportunity of a lifetime for me and I don't want to mess up.
4. Please, pretty please can I get a new gun?
I know I am not a good influence but that is how I would counsel my buddies! have fun and let us know how the experience went.

I think it is time to buy a new gun! Can I give you some talking points to go over with your wife/significant other?
1. But the gun I have is not the proper gun for the birds I will be shooting.
2. I have a need to be versatile and ready to shoot whatever the situation dictates.
3. This is the opportunity of a lifetime for me and I don't want to mess up.
4. Please, pretty please can I get a new gun?
I know I am not a good influence but that is how I would counsel my buddies! have fun and let us know how the experience went.

You left a couple out.

5A. Cash only no traceability. Purchase the gun and sneak it into the safe.
5B. If she asks, just say "Honey it's always been there". :laugh:

You left a couple out.

5A. Cash only no traceability. Purchase the gun and sneak it into the safe.
5B. If she asks, just say "Honey it's always been there". :laugh:

Birdshooter I had thought of those two points but as a man of the cloth I thought it would not serve me well to encourage any lying! I do have a few buddies who have gone this route before as well. It is kind of uncomfortable for me when I am in the room with their spouses and questions of past purchases come up! But I am not sure the last time my wife checked and counted the guns in my safe either! I do have a standing rule that in order to continue holding your man card you must purchase at least one new gun per calendar year! :laugh:

My Wife one day summoned me to the window & said, " George! Did you buy another damn gun ! " I sheepishly said yes. How did you know ? She said the credit card company called to verify the purchase ! She really didn't care but had to let me know I didn't get away with anything.

My Wife one day summoned me to the window & said, " George! Did you buy another damn gun ! " I sheepishly said yes. How did you know ? She said the credit card company called to verify the purchase ! She really didn't care but had to let me know I didn't get away with anything.

You failed to follow rule 5A. :)

Birdshooter I had thought of those two points but as a man of the cloth I thought it would not serve me well to encourage any lying! I do have a few buddies who have gone this route before as well. It is kind of uncomfortable for me when I am in the room with their spouses and questions of past purchases come up! But I am not sure the last time my wife checked and counted the guns in my safe either! I do have a standing rule that in order to continue holding your man card you must purchase at least one new gun per calendar year! :laugh:

Ok maybe a little white lie.

Goldenboy you are a righteous man. You should be proud.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back