Great shots

How many people can say the got a true triple? Me,I did it in 1992 near Hilger.
I had the opportunity to hunt pheasants on private land outside Winner, SD. It is the only time I have hunted SD.

An old farmer from my home town sold his farm upon retirement and bought 1200 acres in SD. He managed all 1200 acres specifically for pheasant hunting because that was his passion. I was in my late 20s at the time, South Dakota had just introduced the party bag limit being legal and I was hunting with 6 guys who were all 65+. I was specifically told to shoot as much of the party bag limit as I could.

I shot 30 birds in 4 days and two true triples that trip. Hunting in Oklahoma and Washington has not provided me with an opportunity at a true triple despite many more days in the field.

I wonder why the other guys didn't want to shoot birds, if they took the time to do the walking?

I wonder why the other guys didn't want to shoot birds, if they took the time to do the walking?
They shot birds that trip, I think it was about 80 birds killed by the group over 4 days. You have to understand the situation and sentiment to understand why they told me that. They were 65-75 years old, and did it all season every season. One of them was my uncle and all were from the town of 200 people I grew up in. I was 27 and on my first pheasant hunt at the time. I had done a fair amount of shotgunning for quail and dove but never had the opportunity to hunt pheasants. They certainly enjoyed shooting birds but I think they just got more joy out of seeing me shoot birds then they would get out of it themselves. Except for my uncle and I, each of those guys killed about 100 pheasants a year. What was a couple extra birds to them? It was probably part watching the next generation enjoy the sport, and part seeing the excitement on my face.

There are times where I have taken someone new to bird hunting out and not loaded my gun until they had a chance to shoot a bird over one of my dogs points. It can be more fun seeing someone do something for the first time than to do it another time yourself.

And with regards to the walking, I think the dogs and I are the only ones that walked the entire way. The more seasoned hunters were taking turns rotating in and out of a four person side by side.

They shot birds that trip, I think it was about 80 birds killed by the group over 4 days. You have to understand the situation and sentiment to understand why they told me that. They were 65-75 years old, and did it all season every season. One of them was my uncle and all were from the town of 200 people I grew up in. I was 27 and on my first pheasant hunt at the time. I had done a fair amount of shotgunning for quail and dove but never had the opportunity to hunt pheasants. They certainly enjoyed shooting birds but I think they just got more joy out of seeing me shoot birds then they would get out of it themselves. Except for my uncle and I, each of those guys killed about 100 pheasants a year. What was a couple extra birds to them? It was probably part watching the next generation enjoy the sport, and part seeing the excitement on my face.

There are times where I have taken someone new to bird hunting out and not loaded my gun until they had a chance to shoot a bird over one of my dogs points. It can be more fun seeing someone do something for the first time than to do it another time yourself.

And with regards to the walking, I think the dogs and I are the only ones that walked the entire way. The more seasoned hunters were taking turns rotating in and out of a four person side by side.
I'm putting a thumbs down and a possible bs on this,but I do agree with one sentence. I'm breaking in 2 newbies the last 4 years, and I agree, it is fun to watch them succeed.

Back