Got out today

Smith81

Fleming, Paoli, Haxtun areas. I've never posted alot, but feel like I have to vent...

Per usual, saw alot of birds, and even more sign. Saw all of the birds on private land, which was posted in a manner that made it very clear they did not want anybody asking. Almost hit a bunch with my truck while heading to the walk-in a few miles past said persons land.

Kind of a frustrating ritual I do two days a week: Drive 3.5 hours, walk all day (freeze), see a ton of birds on land I can't hunt, no shooting or experience for my dog, then go home:rolleyes:.

Alot of the walk-in is barren grass, winter wheat, corn cut to almost nothing, and some fields were just dirt. I don't know the intimate details of the program, but it frustrated me today. Some of the fields contain GREAT cover though.

I understand landowners not wanting the public stomping all over their land. I'm just a little bit dissapointed in how this "banner" season is shaping out for me so far.

Only one rooster this year (Kansas, completely different story on what happened there lol). Now that my whining is done, I'm headed out next Thurs:D.

Hey Smith81,
It can be discouraging sometimes but keep trying. Getting out during the week is your best bet for finding WIA properties that havn't been pounded lately. There are a lot of good WIA properties out there--good cover, near food crops--it just takes some driving/scouting time to find them and mark them on your map. I've been out 6 days this year, all in Eastern CO and now have 6 birds total. I doubled my previous take yesterday with a limit in the fresh snow. Prior to this year, I had invested about a dozen days in Eastern CO and was still birdless and finally broke the jinx on opening day with 2 birds.
Some farmers will grant you permission to hunt if you ask them courteously.
I have weeday schedule flexibility so shoot me a PM if you want to try to hook up sometime-we can compare notes on our hunting preferences and how we work with out dogs.

Sounds good. I was just cranky while making the trek back home on 76 last night.

I have a GSP, it's just her first year. She spent the early fall being trained on pen birds. She's finding out the wild ones have a bad habit of running and acting all wild.

I'm right up the highway from you (Lakewood). I usually hunt during the middle of the week, we'll have to hook up for a late season trip. Unfortunately next week is bad, only Thurs is free...

I guess i haven't done it enough but I just don't get mad if I don't get a bird. I really just like being out there with my dogs and friends. I hope you turn it around man.

You're right, an attitude check was in order. I was feeling sorry for myself after a tough beginning of the season.

After this crazy schedule of a week coming up (work, overtime, and holiday commitments), I'll be itching to walk the fields again. Usually right around the time I get frustrated, the magic happens.

If ya don't mind a third in the middle of the week would love to tag along.

This lab pup that I have is 1 year old so not much going on yet in her brain but she is getting it.

I am in Arvada so it would be an easy hook up.

I was out today they were sitting nice was home 1:00, when 1 bird got up at least 15 joined him, I seen 1 other hunter :cheers:

I was out east and north of Haxtun. Saw lots of birds and managed to bag 2 for the day. I was solo, just me no dog. Lot of good hunting this year. There is one big field of standing corn out there and every time I drive by it I see at least 5 roosters. Would love to be around when they get around to picking the corn.

I was out east and north of Haxtun. Saw lots of birds and managed to bag 2 for the day. I was solo, just me no dog. Lot of good hunting this year. There is one big field of standing corn out there and every time I drive by it I see at least 5 roosters. Would love to be around when they get around to picking the corn.

You were the other hunter i seen:laugh: I was roming around there too..

Also in the Haxtun area today

Today was my first trip out this year. I too was hunting by myself. I only did WIA. Chased some hens around Fleming. Saw a few distant roosters. Headed south towards Yuma. Had three rooster cross the road from one WIA to another. Walked and walked. Never got them up. Walked the fence row of another WIA. Two rooster flying right towards me landed about 60 yards away. Never found them. I have found golf balls in much tougher cover. Still had a great day. Just love to get out and walk fields. I also live in the Westminster area. I would also love the company next time I venture out on my own.

Back