Got a small front pushing through the rolling plains

gettinbirdie

Going to head back up to the ranch tomorrow night. Running my young GSP for a couple of days. Last week was too dang hot but the next couple of days are prime. Plenty of moisture too. Anyone else still pushing wild birds?

Going to head back up to the ranch tomorrow night. Running my young GSP for a couple of days. Last week was too dang hot but the next couple of days are prime. Plenty of moisture too. Anyone else still pushing wild birds?

Oh man I wish I was still hunting ...

Good luck & happy hunting I have to live vicariously Through you... & hit up the pheasant & quail fest this wk end to get my fix lol

Well I put the dogs on the ground at 8:15 and quit early at 10:30 am -we were only able to get on 4 covies and several singles (kinda weird). .I went back in the evening and ran the last 1 1/2hrs of light and we put up 4 more covies. Definitely not one of our better hunts for the season but I sure was happy. I feel blessed to have access to birds this late into the season. I had to park the truck in town and take the Polaris down the county road in order to get to the ranch. There wasn't a set one of truck tracks on any of the graded roads-its a mess getting in there when it rains. A rancher in town fore-warned me the night before that they received 2" of rain that day. The fields were pretty soggy and a lot of puddles everywhere. We were trailing birds to the treelines and into the thick cedar-I was calling the dogs off. I shot doubles out of each covey with my faithful 20 and left the singles alone for another day. I really think the birds had moved out to get out of the wet conditions. I left the next morning cutting our hunting time to one day.....I'll be back next weekend, this will be my last hoorah as it is the final weekend of our season. Good luck to all that go out for the finale.
muensterlander-how was the fest? I got to make one of those next time around! Where was it?

KAT-how did you do?

Well I put the dogs on the ground at 8:15 and quit early at 10:30 am -we were only able to get on 4 covies and several singles (kinda weird). .I went back in the evening and ran the last 1 1/2hrs of light and we put up 4 more covies. Definitely not one of our better hunts for the season but I sure was happy. I feel blessed to have access to birds this late into the season. I had to park the truck in town and take the Polaris down the county road in order to get to the ranch. There wasn't a set one of truck tracks on any of the graded roads-its a mess getting in there when it rains. A rancher in town fore-warned me the night before that they received 2" of rain that day. The fields were pretty soggy and a lot of puddles everywhere. We were trailing birds to the treelines and into the thick cedar-I was calling the dogs off. I shot doubles out of each covey with my faithful 20 and left the singles alone for another day. I really think the birds had moved out to get out of the wet conditions. I left the next morning cutting our hunting time to one day.....I'll be back next weekend, this will be my last hoorah as it is the final weekend of our season. Good luck to all that go out for the finale.
muensterlander-how was the fest? I got to make one of those next time around! Where was it?

KAT-how did you do?

Man it was 60+ degrees here in MN & in February that's insane I could not bring my self to attend the phez fest but we baught tickets anyway... Re upped my QF subscription etc. Just to make my self fell better lol

I'm still in ow u Texans can still be out chase n bobs. Maybe next year hint hint gettingbirdie...

a couple of pics from this trip...
my brother's female,she points with a super high head
[/IMG]

we got surrounded by a pack of 5 coyotes at this field..I managed a picture of one on my phone
20170215_083237_resized.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

8 covies-4 doubles, 2 happy dogs. my female on the left.
20170216_105128_resized.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back