Good deal on AyA 4/53

quail hound

Good Gun

Is aya a good shotgun brand? I shoot a Holland & Holland side by side, it says "Royal" on the side. I missed a pheasant the other day and got mad and threw it in the ground scratching the stock severely, my Dad gave it to me after our vineyard's wine won an award in France.

Last edited:
Is aya a good shotgun brand? I shoot a Holland & Holland side by side, it says "Royal" on the side. I missed a pheasant the other day and got mad and threw it in the ground scratching the stock severely, my Dad gave it to me after our vineyard's wine won an award in France.

You have to be wearing tweed nickers and a shooting vest for those guns to hit, and even then they can only shoot driven birds. I think you should have a talk with the game manager on your estate about the birds poor flight and also scold your beaters and pickers for the missed shot.:cheers:

That is a nice 16, I lost at mega-millions once again. The above scenario was going to be played out at Beretta approved lodges everywhere and was hatched by my co-worker as we dreamed of lottery gold. Stupid lottery!

Last edited:

I have a long story about a famous guy I hunted with who did something like your sarcastic post...:p

What is worth more, a 16 guage double or a divorce? If I bought the 16 guage, I bet I'd find out about the divorce.

:cheers:

What can I say? I can't drink wine.

Don't hold out on us.:thumbsup:

Here is a short version.

I moved to Indiana from Wi in 1990. Never saw a quail in my life but grew up hunting cackle birds, grouse, ducks, geese, rabbits and deer.

While at work met an old boy from SW IN. We started talking about hunting. I old him my story and what I hunted and he asked if "I ever hunted birds".....:confused:

WTF? I just told him I hunted all of the above. and he asked again like I was stupid, "Do you hunt birds?, Birds son???" Sort of in a Foghorn Leghorn accent.

Then he said "Quail". So I ended up understanding finally. He invited me to come down. When I got to his place in November of that year he said we were meeting a group of guys and that Bobby Knight might be joining us. Knight liked to invite himself whenever he found out that one of the other guys was going to hunt.

Sure enough he's there. We met for breakfast and go out to hunt. 7 guys and I think 4 or 5 dogs (Setters). I had never hunted over a pointing dog in my life and knew that quail hunting had a set of etiquette but that's it. so I hung back and watched.

Knight BTW was carrying a very expensive gun. I imagined at the time that it had to be worth 6-7k or more. I had my 20ga 870...

Dogs go on point after about 1.5hrs. I sort of thought they make me go crap my pants and flush them but they sent Knight to bust the covey. He drew and missed twice. I then learned about singles...and Knight's propensity for foul language:eek:

We split into two groups, Knight, me and two others and the rest go the other way. Dogs ran up a couple hundred yds and go on point again in a little bushy area. Knight is told to go ahead and flush the bird since he was so mad. Three birds flush and Knight proceeds to squeeze off 2 shots and not ruffle a feather. My buddy with his 28ga 870 drops all three and Knight goes off again.

As he's cursing and red faced he grabs his gun by the barrel and let's it fly, I bet 50yrds in the air and proceeds to turn around and start walking. I didn't see that as I was watching this beautiful gun spinning through the air like a frisbee.....

I turned to look at Knight and he was gone, cussing and walking back to the truck which had to be a couple miles. I looked at his buddy and asked, "Do you think he'd mind I I kept that gun?" He said he would get it and carried that thing until lunch.

Back at the truck Knight sat by himself and didn't talk to anyone when we got back.

(that's the shortened version) :eek:

Here is a short version.

I moved to Indiana from Wi in 1990. Never saw a quail in my life but grew up hunting cackle birds, grouse, ducks, geese, rabbits and deer.

While at work met an old boy from SW IN. We started talking about hunting. I old him my story and what I hunted and he asked if "I ever hunted birds".....:confused:

WTF? I just told him I hunted all of the above. and he asked again like I was stupid, "Do you hunt birds?, Birds son???" Sort of in a Foghorn Leghorn accent.

Then he said "Quail". So I ended up understanding finally. He invited me to come down. When I got to his place in November of that year he said we were meeting a group of guys and that Bobby Knight might be joining us. Knight liked to invite himself whenever he found out that one of the other guys was going to hunt.

Sure enough he's there. We met for breakfast and go out to hunt. 7 guys and I think 4 or 5 dogs (Setters). I had never hunted over a pointing dog in my life and knew that quail hunting had a set of etiquette but that's it. so I hung back and watched.

Knight BTW was carrying a very expensive gun. I imagined at the time that it had to be worth 6-7k or more. I had my 20ga 870...

Dogs go on point after about 1.5hrs. I sort of thought they make me go crap my pants and flush them but they sent Knight to bust the covey. He drew and missed twice. I then learned about singles...and Knight's propensity for foul language:eek:

We split into two groups, Knight, me and two others and the rest go the other way. Dogs ran up a couple hundred yds and go on point again in a little bushy area. Knight is told to go ahead and flush the bird since he was so mad. Three birds flush and Knight proceeds to squeeze off 2 shots and not ruffle a feather. My buddy with his 28ga 870 drops all three and Knight goes off again.

As he's cursing and red faced he grabs his gun by the barrel and let's it fly, I bet 50yrds in the air and proceeds to turn around and start walking. I didn't see that as I was watching this beautiful gun spinning through the air like a frisbee.....

I turned to look at Knight and he was gone, cussing and walking back to the truck which had to be a couple miles. I looked at his buddy and asked, "Do you think he'd mind I I kept that gun?" He said he would get it and carried that thing until lunch.

Back at the truck Knight sat by himself and didn't talk to anyone when we got back.

(that's the shortened version) :eek:

That is a great story.

Shotgun blast to the back

You should be glad you and your buddy didn't suffer the same fate as old Tom Mikunda. That is a great story by the way. If anyone forgets the Mikunda ordeal I've posted it in a summary below.

In December 2002, Knight reached a settlement with Thomas Mikunda, who claimed Knight pressured him to lie about an October 1999 hunting accident in which Knight hit Mikunda with 16 pellets from a 20-gauge shotgun. After being cited for failing to report a hunting accident and hunting without a license, Knight paid $582.10 in fines. The terms of the settlement with Mikunda weren't made public.

Last edited:
Bob Knight

For the record my dad is from Indiana and after all the shenanigans, thrown chairs, shouting, shootings, my old man and a lot of other Hoosiers I know still regard Knight as one of the greatest human beings on planet earth, ever!

That Bobby Knight sure sounds like a real character.:D

My high school basketball coach worked some basketball clinics with Knight. Their personalities were about the same. My coach said for all Knight did that the media grabbed onto, he did as much that wasn't in the spotlight that was from the heart.

My coach was trying to get a Kansas pheasant hunt put together with Knight, but due to basketball seasons it wasn't going to happen. He came running into the weight room one morning with a letter on Indiana University stationary from Knight, discussing plans for the upcoming turkey season. He was ecstatic.

Back