Goldendoodle

Dami0101

Has anyone ever hunted with a goldendoodle? Met a couple with a goldendoodle that is a month younger than our munsterlander and was talking about hunting and turns out they were originally supposed to get a vizsla but that fell through and now he's going to try and train the doodle to to hunt. I tried not to laugh since the guys family has land with birds on it and I'd like to get invited one day if possible, but made me wonder what chance he has of turning the ball of hair into a hunting dog.

Both goldens and poodles originally hunted. But most of these designer breeds are out of dogs that have not been bred for hunting in many generations. My guess is that the dog will not hunt and the owner will be frustrated.

Yeah that's pretty much what I was expecting, especially as they mentioned the breeder said they had to neuter by 7 months or pay $2500 for the breeding rights.

In earlier times a Goldendoodle or Labradoodle went by other names.

Back then they were called "mongrels" and nobody in their right mind would pay thousands of dollars for one. It was tough to give them away.

Now they might hunt; it's possible. But their still just mongrels to me.

David031

Yeah that's pretty much what I was expecting, especially as they mentioned the breeder said they had to neuter by 7 months or pay $2500 for the breeding rights.

???? What breeding rights???
They are mutts--no registration--how would he enforce it??
When people fall for third b.s.---it's not only the dogs being scxxxd:rolleyes:

Why are some people so eager --prove P.T. BARNUM CORRECT-

About the same mentality as those who show up for a hunt with -their dog-their brothers--neighbors--etc. untrained dog--"who should be a great hunter--BECAUSE--it has papers:eek:

Never seen one worth a damn. Trust me people with quality, skilled field bred poodles would never breed them indiscriminately, they are far to valuable and rare! Top field or show bred labs aren't going to get whored out either. So at best you're getting a crap poodle bred to a crap lab. That's a good recipe for a crap hunting dog, might be an ok pet.

All that said there are some mutts out there that are damn nice pets and decent hunters.

About the same mentality as those who show up for a hunt with -their dog-their brothers--neighbors--etc. untrained dog--"who should be a great hunter--BECAUSE--it has papers:eek:

I don't know but people take their designer dogs very seriously now days, I've seen them go for more than purebreds and people are clearly willing to pay it...

I know! It is crazy to think that someone would suggest that there are breeding rights on a mutt. First of all who would police that request? Second can you even have breed standards or what is the reason behind the limited (I can't even say it) registration because there is no registration or standard. Follow the dollars!!!!!

First of all who would police that request? Second can you even have breed standards or what is the reason behind the limited (I can't even say it) registration because there is no registration or standard. Follow the dollars!!!!!

It is all about the money.

They have a registries, ALCA (Australian Labradoodle Club of America) and the ALAA (Australian Labradoodle Association of America).

Why, when you register your 'doodle they'll even provide a 5 generation pedigree.

David0311

It is all about the money.

They have a registries, ALCA (Australian Labradoodle Club of America) and the ALAA (Australian Labradoodle Association of America).

Why, when you register your 'doodle they'll even provide a 5 generation pedigree.

:eek: Boy I bet that 5 generation pedigree is factual and authentic ;)

Where do you register a labradoodle/golden doodle/Great Pyrenees/genuine junk yard dog cross?:rolleyes:

Just kidding
DC

No never seen a goldendoodle out hunting but have seen them running wild chaseing wild turkeys & my chickens a few times seemed to like birds???

Last issue of PF magazine page 62-63 in the hot shots member photos there is a labordoodle pictured with a bunch of birds if he was hunting I'm not 100% sure???

P.S. Are you running a large or small munsterlander ???

No never seen a goldendoodle out hunting but have seen them running wild chaseing wild turkeys & my chickens a few times seemed to like birds???

Last issue of PF magazine page 62-63 in the hot shots member photos there is a labordoodle pictured with a bunch of birds if he was hunting I'm not 100% sure???

P.S. Are you running a large or small munsterlander ???

Running a small munsterlander, she just started gun and bird intro yesterday.

I don't think a doodle would make a good hunting dog, but you never know. Put him out there, and see what he does. Anything with lab, might hunt.

goldendoodle

I don't think a doodle would make a good hunting dog, but you never know. Put him out there, and see what he does. Anything with lab, might hunt.

We bought a goldendoodle as a pet 8 years ago. I trained her to hunt. She hunts pheasants, ducks and grouse. Great nose, stays in range, natural retriever, handles cold water. She has as much stamina and drive as other goldens and labs I have hunted with. Busts brush and cattails no problem.

Now, I would not buy one specifically for hunting as the chances are slimmer of getting a good one but yes they have it in them. Any dog with some prey drive has it in them.

Please reread and note--the part about P.T. BARNUM :D

Just in case some here aren't familiar. P.T. Barnum was credited with coining the phrase, "There's a sucker born every minute"!

Certainly applies in this case.

A neighbor lady has a very well trained labradoodle.

I wouldn't doubt it would hunt. The best dog I've personally ever had would be considered a mutt to most, the worst was a papered dog. Everything in between.

Personally i am not a hunter, I' a fisher. So, I never tried to hunt with my dog. But fishing, omg, he loves very much. Especially goldendoodle is the best breed for such active life. But it all depends on the trainings and the education that you provide for your pet. If you like hunting make him like it, laud him when he makes something right, pets love being with their owners, especially dogs, you just need to make it right. Also, the breed goldendoodle is hypoallergetic that is perfect for me because of my disease, but they also leave a lot of hair. I learned recently how to get rid of it on a website with very useful article petpls.com

Last edited:
Personally i am not a hunter, I' a fisher. So, I never tried to hunt with my dog. But fishing, omg, he loves very much. Especially goldendoodle is the best breed for such active life. But it all depends on the trainings and the education that you provide for your pet. If you like hunting make him like it, laud him when he makes something right, pets love being with their owners, especially dogs, you just need to make it right.

“If you like hunting make him like it”—-You May be on the wrong forum for that pearl of wisdom!!��

Back