Gett'n After'm

Straightup82

After Tgiving I will be spending the next 3 weeks between NE/NC Missouri and then to Kansas after their deer season chasing birds. Two buddies and 8 dogs ready to cut fields all day. Will post here some on how it's going and would like to hear about others as well.

I've made it to the northeast (2 hunts) and quail seem to be pretty solid. Pheasant are similar to years past and you can find them, but nothing like the northwest part of the state. My dog tore his ACL, so my season is pretty much done. I didn't make one trip to the northwest for a hunt. Disappointing to say the least. Good luck the rest of the season.

I've made it to the northeast (2 hunts) and quail seem to be pretty solid. Pheasant are similar to years past and you can find them, but nothing like the northwest part of the state. My dog tore his ACL, so my season is pretty much done. I didn't make one trip to the northwest for a hunt. Disappointing to say the least. Good luck the rest of the season.

sorry to hear about your dog, that is a tough one since we all live for this time of year. how did it happen?

sorry to hear about your dog, that is a tough one since we all live for this time of year. how did it happen?

I was in South Dakota for 5 days hunting in the end of October and I'm not sure if it happened there or what. I came home hunted once for a couple hours in MO and when I was at home I noticed he was one his toes around the house. I went again a couple weeks later as he seemed to be doing better and after that hunt he was on 3 legs. That lasted 4 days or so and he is now back to trying to run in the backyard and on his toe around the house. I talked to the vet yesterday and it's a partial tear, so I'm going the no surgery route right now. I've got some meds coming to help with inflammation and he'll be inactive for 4 to 6 weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed... To answer your question there was never an "oh no" moment when he acted hurt it just kind happened.

Been on the ground in Northeast and Northwest MO every day since Nov 30th. Hunted both private and public. Averaging 2-3 coveys a day. Covey's sizes are healthy 12-15 bird coveys. Dog work has been really good getting coveys and singles pointed everyday. Week two in MO starts tomorrow and then the following week, a week in Kansas.

I have hunted here at home quite a bit this year. I have been pleased with the quail numbers so far. I was surprised once again by the number of young birds early in the season. Found several covies of peepers barely able to fly. Have not been in pheasant country at all here so I have no education assumption on pheasants. Getting ready to take a 5 day swing around our lovely state and find out though. Have hunted about half private and half public. Have found birds on a couple of farms that I haven't seen birds on in ages. Mostly due to the owners not running cattle on their places after harvest. The cows ate all leftover crops but most of all stomped down all the ditches, draws, and weed patches. The last 2 years they have not run the cattle in it. The weeds and grasses came back, the milo stalks are taller and thicker (and leftover milo everywhere you step), and there were 3 covies of quail in it.

Back