General quail opener

quail hound

All quail opens next Saturday, where are you heading?. I'll hunt my secret San Jaquine river spot opening morning but not sure where for Sunday morning yet. The weekend after that I want to head up around Susanville for some chuks. Let's here you alls plans.

I'll be taking two newbies hunting next Saturday. Was thinking of hunting mountain quail up in the San Bernardino Mts. Went up there today to check things out. The weather is nice up there at this time of year but mountain quail hunting can be spotty sometimes, I really want their first hunt to be eventful in the game encounter department. Everything was so dry down this way during the brooding season and now there has been some rain, so I'm not sure if the desert will be any better between low reproduction and scattered birds. But a part of me wants to head to the west Mojave region for quail/chukar anyway and hope things aren't as poor as I imagined. I need to make my mind up by tomorrow. My buddies will happily go where ever I suggest.

On another note, I never wanted to spank my dog until today. For some reason he really wanted to run big on our hike. Not good. He'll probably settle down after 20 or 30 minutes, but I don't like having to whistle so much at first. I need to work on that post haste. He was just so excited in the new woods.

Where exactly are you at down there? I have a bunch of ideas for SoCal that I've never got to try around Taft, Tehachapi, Ridgecrest etc. The Mid hills/ hole in the wall area of mojave was good to me late last season. You may give the blm field office in Barstow a call and see if they can tell how much rain certain areas got this year.

As for the dog, JP my oldest springer used to do the same thing in the mountains (maybe its the fresh air) but he has finally settled in nicely. They learn that flushing out of range equals no retrieves pretty fast.:cheers:

Where exactly are you at down there? I have a bunch of ideas for SoCal that I've never got to try around Taft, Tehachapi, Ridgecrest etc. The Mid hills/ hole in the wall area of mojave was good to me late last season. You may give the blm field office in Barstow a call and see if they can tell how much rain certain areas got this year.

As for the dog, JP my oldest springer used to do the same thing in the mountains (maybe its the fresh air) but he has finally settled in nicely. They learn that flushing out of range equals no retrieves pretty fast.:cheers:

I'm from OC. I'm more familiar with the southern coastal mountain areas from San Diego up through San Luis Obispo and the western Mojave regions and down near Niland. I would like to explore the area around Tehachapi and Mid Hills/Hole in the Wall later this season though. Really, there are so many places to go and not enough time to go there. I can only try.

Ok, have you ever hunted San Jacinto WA? I have a buddy who lives in Filmore and I swear I've heard pheasants crowing around the river down there.

Ok, have you ever hunted San Jacinto WA? I have a buddy who lives in Filmore and I swear I've heard pheasants crowing around the river down there.

For ducks, yes, I have. I know they pull a few native pheasants out of that area every year along with the stocked ones. A little further down the road they have Four Winds pheasant club as well as about five duck clubs.

I've always wanted to try down there or Imperial Valley for some roosters. I've got my San Jaquine valley rooster (from Los Banos/ Mendota) and my Sacramento Valley rooster (Gray Lodge) and this year I'm going to try for some Klamath Basin roosters way, way up north near the Oregon border. All that will be left is a SoCal roodie.

Back