Garmin TT25 collar prongs

Mosby

After 10 years, I decided to trade in my old Garmin 320 and bought a new Garmin 550+ w/2 TT25 collars. The Garmin collars came with the short prongs installed.

Two quick questions....do most people use the short or the long prongs on your e-collars and does anyone put dialytic grease on the prong screws? I have a Vizsla and a GSP so the short prongs would seem to be fine but I thought I saw something once that recommended using the long prongs regardless of breed.

The prong screws provided by Garmin are dry and I thought a light coat of grease couldn't hurt to keep water and moisture out. I've never done anything to my old collars but I thought I would see if anyone had any thoughts on it. Thanks.

We use the long contacts on our labs. I’ve never applied anything to the threads as mine are brass. But with that being said, the grease certainly wouldn’t hurt.

We use the long contacts on our labs. I’ve never applied anything to the threads as mine are brass. But with that being said, the grease certainly wouldn’t hurt.
I think I'm going to put a light coating of some dialytic grease on the threads with a q tip. With the price of collars these days, I need them to last as long as possible. I've been using the short prongs on my older unit and never had a problem, so I think I'm going to stick with the shorter contacts. My dogs don't have much of a coat. Thanks.

Last edited:
I used to have britts, setters, & e pointers all at the same time. On the old tritronics collars i used the long prongs on all of the dogs with no problems. That being said, I think you would be ok with the short ones on vislas. You could put it on low stim & try it if you are undecided. You could carry the the long ones & a wrench with you for awhile to ease your mind.

I used to have britts, setters, & e pointers all at the same time. On the old tritronics collars i used the long prongs on all of the dogs with no problems. That being said, I think you would be ok with the short ones on vislas. You could put it on low stim & try it if you are undecided. You could carry the the long ones & a wrench with you for awhile to ease your mind.
My young Vizsla is a bit more independent than my GSP but he's young and a Vizsla.....so I have to be more patient and careful than I might with another dog or breed. But I'll have the long one's in the truck to switch out it if needed. I hunt by myself most of the time, so I seldom get a chance to see how others are setting up their equipment. Thanks.

Back