Game Farm with birds left for walkons

GSP TYler

So i called around a few different places it seems as though everyone is out of Birds already. Looks like its time to start training again. Any1 else seeing this same thing across the state? (People without members atleast)

The guy I get quail from said it would be sometime in the back half of May when he would start having birds.
That leaves about 6ish weeks of down time without birds which is good for the dog and allows you to go back and reinforce any yard or retrieving work if needed.

Yeah I need to start reinforcing training. Can get my dog to fetch bumpers, bumpers with feathers, and wings. Yet he will not bring be back a dead bird.

Tyler? Might try what I call "kitchen training."

Close off escape routes from the kitchen. Take frozen quail/pigeon and have dog on leash. Toss the bird, command fetch to the dog. If dog investigates but doesn't bring the bird back, go over and gently insert the bird in dog's mouth, commanding fetch. Hold the muzzle shut if necessary, even if you must do so as you bring the dog back to your original position.

It can be a tussle for a bit, but the dog WILL have the carcass in its mouth. Praise the dog, pet the dog, explain that it is the best dog ever to tread the earth, and then use the leash to pull it back over to where you first tossed it. Command release, praise and pet again, and in a moment, repeat the process.
Continue (gently, but firmly) to insist the dog get with the program.

Stop after a few successes. Refreeze the bird. Repeat later in the day, and night, and next day, etc.

Do NOT get angry, just be consistent and persistent. After a few sessions, reward the pup for good work. Next time out, give the dog a reward before you start, and then continue the sessions and praise.

My experience is that it takes time, but is a matter of being matter-of-fact and gentle.

By using the small confines of the room, you will be able to reach the pup every time, and firmly insist.

After you have consistent success, go to the yard, with pup still on the leash.
Repeat, then use a longer line.

If the pup is taking bumpers, it will take the dead bird; most probably it just feels alien to the the dog.

There are probably other ways to get the desired result, but I know this works and doesn't make it a battle of wills, because, really, the dog has no choice.

Best Wishes.

:thumbsup:

This is the exact way I first got him to fetch his bumper when he was a puppy. So for the full story I had him trained on feathers then took him dove hunting for his first real bird. Shot one down in a empty field it was perfect. Until he got a mouth full of feathers and spit the bird out. Ever since he doesn't really like birds. He's brought back squrriels i've shot but never a bird. Now with birds atleast pheasants he runs them down and pins them then he kinda grabs/pulls feathers.

I have since december trying to correct this. Read that hold training is something to help with being comfortable with things in the dogs mouth so i started this and he hates it. Hands down his least favorite thing. I put his bumper in his mouth and he holds it for me until i tell him to drop it. Yet i can't get the transition for him to hold it after he retrieves.

I'm up for any suggestions. Kismet I will be trying this yet I'm going to have to track down a bird since I don't have a frozen one and don't see myself being able to find one until nearly summer.

Going to keep up with his bumper, hold training, and basic commands.

Thanks again, it's all very much appreciated by a newcomer to dog handling and upland hunting.

I noticed you guys talking about quail. I'm curious how much quail go for usually? I'm getting birds this weekend.

I've seen from 5 to 12 dollars for quail. That is for adult birds though. You getting chicks or adults? May I ask from where?

I can get full grown for 5 and when ever he has them but I'm getting 20 chicks then I'm going to hatch some it's a buddy of mine.

Progress

Just wanted to say thank you for all the advice! Have my boy bringing back frozen birds. Also had him retrieve a live quail back to me last weekend! Just need for bird season now :) thanks again from bowen and I we are ready for a great year.

Just wanted to say thank you for all the advice! Have my boy bringing back frozen birds. Also had him retrieve a live quail back to me last weekend! Just need for bird season now :) thanks again from bowen and I we are ready for a great year.

We're all in this together.

Nice work.

Best Wishes.:thumbsup:

Back