Future hunt ideas??

itsathrill

I am looking for a place for my wife and I to hunt this coming fall preferably the east / north eastern part of the state, we have a travel trailer that would we would pull along to stay in so we would need a rancher that is comfortable with us setting it up for a few days on their property and or somewhere that might have camp grounds close by with walk in land available. We are ok with paying a daily ?trespass? fee if needed, after many years off from serious pheasant hunting we are now blessed with the time to get back into it.
Any ideas?

Thank you
David & Shelli

Would assume you are hunting Montana...there may be hunting facilities on this site that could accommodate you, otherwise, google "montana pheasant hunting" and see what is offered.

Good luck!

I have googled Montana Pheasant already and everything is a lodge type set up and isn't what we are looking for, and yes we are looking for Montana therefore I posted it in the Montana forum.

My suggestion is go to the area's of the state that hold good bird population and start knocking on doors. I found found great friends that way and now have places to hunt and stay in Montana because I took the time to stop and visit with people. Going to church in the local town always helps also! Folks who go to church tend to be pretty friendly.

Think of your first year as an explore. It's a long way between places and it takes a lot of time to get to know the lay of the land, so to speak.

I second the previous posts and add:

If you can select a small town that will accommodate your trailer you will have a base from which to operate. Most towns have a bar or two, a few small restaurants - places where people gather. I have had success finding hunting opportunities et al with both resources.

Check with the local Chamber - they often have listings.

Check with the lodges - they can refer you to others that have the type of land that may fit your requirements.

Suffice to say - this is a detective/market research endeavor. You never know where your best resource will appear!

Good Luck

Think of your first year as an explore. It's a long way between places and it takes a lot of time to get to know the lay of the land, so to speak.

Couldn't agree more. I doubt that anyone who is going on such a long trip has never shot a pheasant before so what makes the trip appealing, in my view anyway is the new country you'll see. Montana is full of wonderful history from historic buffalo herds to the Indian Wars, from settling the prairie to when the Wheat Bubble burst after it was found that rain doesn't follow the plow. If you haven't done it already, dig into the history of the state and region you'll be visiting. It makes the hunting more fun when you think you might be actually hunting in a draw that Sitting Bull hunted in.

This is the reason we want to bring our camper with, kind of make a nice vacation along with try and get a few birds while we are there.

Couldn't agree more. I doubt that anyone who is going on such a long trip has never shot a pheasant before so what makes the trip appealing, in my view anyway is the new country you'll see. Montana is full of wonderful history from historic buffalo herds to the Indian Wars, from settling the prairie to when the Wheat Bubble burst after it was found that rain doesn't follow the plow. If you haven't done it already, dig into the history of the state and region you'll be visiting. It makes the hunting more fun when you think you might be actually hunting in a draw that Sitting Bull hunted in.

Back