Ft. Riley and surrounding area

vonny571

I've been lurking around here for the last year or so and have found this to be a great resource. I moved to Junction City last July and found a few birds last season around Milford lake. My chocolate lab just turned a year old and I am really looking forward to getting him on some birds this fall. I'm intrigued by the idea of hunting Ft. Riley. Is it worth the trouble to do so? Does anyone have experience hunting on post? I have a few public spots west of the lake that I think will be productive, but it would be nice to a have a couple spots closer to home to hit in the evenings after work. I'm also not real experienced when it comes to quail. I grew up hunting pheasants in south central Nebraska, so I'm still getting used to hunting the different terrain and cover that the Flint Hills have to offer. Thanks for any feedback.

Okay, I'll try a more specific question. If I were to hunt on Ft. Riley, aside from purchase the Ft. Riley permit, what else do i need to do? What is invovled in bringing a firearm on post?

Sorry can't help you with the Ft. Riley question but I thought I'd just mention that I've hunted up around Clay Center a lot. It is usually very enjoyable with pleny of birds.

Thanks for the replies. I've done some scouting just north of wakefield and like what I see. I haven't been as far north as Clay Center yet.

I have read the other topics on Ft. Riley, but I was hoping for some more specifics as to what it takes for a civilian to access it and whether you guys thought it was worth the hassel/extra permit or not.

sorry it took me so long to respond but hunting the post is extremelly easy. All you need to do is go by the conserv office on pershing and get all the req. items you will need. you will also need to register your gun through them all of this should take you only about 30 mins if you go in there with the make/model and serial number of the gun you want to use. you can pm me if you would any other info.

I gotta follow through on hunting there this year. I talked and talked about doing it last year, but never actually got the permit and went. I think I will this year.

Back