FOUND: Astro 430 handheld North of Liberal on Wiha.

Monday

Hi everyone. This is a long shot but I found an Astro 430 handheld on a Wiha to the North of Liberal. It looks like it'd been there for a little while but still in decent shape. It powered on and then immediately shut down. If you think it's yours or contact me on here and we can see if you lost yours in this same piece.

I bought an Alpha 100 3 years ago when I got my first bird dog.... lost it on the FIRST HUNT. Some how fell out of my vest... looked for 3 hours, never could find it. Cost me $600. Now I always strap it to the vest so that won't happen again. Live n learn.

Not to hijack but I keep mine on my strap vest opposite of where my gun shoulders. I use the little snap that came with it. Makes an audible snap when I put it on there. Releases easy with thumb. I believe it’s the belt clip. Works really well.

I'll hijack even more to help. I use this case, and clip it to my vest, and then use the strap to clip it to my wingworks vest.
So, it's doubled down, so to speak.

https://www.outdoordogsupply.com/pr...tT5tq2oakxpcriThmufU44r5zZaCCHeMaAhtsEALw_wcB

i will hijack some more......i told Dogtra they needed to develop a collar/transmitter with an extra button on the collar, which could be pushed and cause the transmitter to beep back, just like the collar on your dog......then you might have a shot at finding one dropped in the field. someone will do this eventually.

Is there a serial number on the unit? If so, the company may be able to help find the owner if they registered it for warranty.

Is there a serial number on the unit? If so, the company may be able to help find the owner if they registered it for warranty.

That's a great suggestion.

And I'll continue the hijack. I use this case for my alpha: https://wingworks.biz/shop/latigo-leather-holsters-garmin-astros-alpha-45-00/ I clip it to the d-ring on the left chest of my coat, tuck the long antennae through the Velcro below it to prevent it from swinging back and forth. Then, because I'm paranoid, I snaked a paracord lanyard through the case to the unit itself and I wear that around my neck.

Since it's already hijacked...

I bought my Astro from LCS, and they included a protective case that has a button lock to hook it to my vest. But I keep the receiver inside a zipped pocket anyway. The only time I ever use it is when I have lost track of a dog for longer than I am comfortable, which isn't super often. If I looked at the unit more often, I think that button lock thing would be super slick.

Not to hijack but I keep mine on my strap vest opposite of where my gun shoulders. I use the little snap that came with it. Makes an audible snap when I put it on there. Releases easy with thumb. I believe it’s the belt clip. Works really well.

This is what I do with my Alpha, but now I'm thinking I should add some form of redundancy. Maybe some paracord with a carabiner or one of those gear keeper zingers or something.

One time, I dropped my Garmin and had a general idea of where it was. I turned on a collar and moved it around and then stopped in the general area and listened for a beep. I was lucky, I suppose, and this was when I could still hear things, but I found it that way.

Last edited:
Back