For those shooting 28 gauge

Obi_Wan

Is it a must to be high brass? I bought some B&P #6 15/16 oz loads rated at 1300 FPS, but when I get them, they aren’t high brass. Not sure it matters that much if they really hit 1300 FPS. I guess what I’m asking those with experience is, would you use them?

I dont have a 28, but the way i look at it is that load is flying plenty fast. You just have a smaller amount of shot to deal with. If it patterns ok, itll kill them. Im definitely not opposed to shooting the 28. Theres a dude on youtube making long kill shots with a 28 (at least thats the claim).

I dont have a 28, but the way i look at it is that load is flying plenty fast. You just have a smaller amount of shot to deal with. If it patterns ok, itll kill them. Im definitely not opposed to shooting the 28. Theres a dude on youtube making long kill shots with a 28 (at least thats the claim).
I've seen that guy. I think he's shooting some kind of special shells. Boss maybe??

The B&P shells are fine. The height of the brass has no correlation to the amount of powder or shot. I have used the B&P 1 1/16 #6 (don’t think they are made anymore) on wild birds and they kill ‘em graveyard dead.

Absolutely shoot them. Most all 28 ga are 1300 fps. You can find 1200 fps on occasion. Most are 3/4 oz. Even in the 13s.

Thanks. If its anything like last year, the birds will all get up in perfect range of a 28 and Modified or IM choke. Looking forward to dropping a few with it.

I shoot a 28 for early season sharps and phez. Bismuth loads are great for that, when worried about non-tox shot.

I continue to use a 28 for midseason phez, but I handload TSS. It's scary how far away those stay deadly. They pattern tight, so I generally clean miss or completely stone them. 40-50 yards is absolutely doable if you're a good shot (unlike me).

I've got no issues shooting my 28 all season on birds. 28's are easily effective out to 40+ yards and I shoot boss #5 bismuth.

Back