Food plots

This really depends on what your goals are. If you are going for max winter food from the plot, any additions probably will lower total yield due to the competition. Some other factors will come into play: a good stand of milo will either shade out other plants, or cause them to elongate, trying to reach sunlight, (like the green foxtail in earlier pictures). The tall plants will go down easily with snow/wind.
If you are looking for dense cover, you can add about anything you want, but I would broadcast it or drill it.
Or skip any preemergence chemical and let mother nature fill in the blank spots with kochia/foxtail. Either case there will be less milo grain which may or may not be made up by other species.
Good points. Thanks again.
I may just up the sorghum seed rate a little.

We plant a mix, mainly sorghum, but with sunflowers and millet at a lower rate on 15 inch rows. We've found that 15 inch rows can be easier to walk thru, while providing more of a canopy than typical 30 inch rows. The sunflowers and millet make it a little more covered in the late summer and fall, and the millet gives it a sort of foxtail-esque feel to it. However, I've read that foxtail seed is like 30% protein or something like that, and our birds are always full of it. It just doesn't hold seed very long, and if you get snow they never find it. However, when there's snow, that's when the milo shines. If you've got a lot of deer, they'll mow off your sunflowers, trust me. Also to note, especially if not tilling, mixes help you out in the soil health category as well.

Back