First time hunting in South Dakota

n1sxu

I know another non-resident hunter coming to South Dakota for pheasant hunting. Well, yes. Looking at just kind of jumping in the Jeep with the Dog and heading to the Watertown area to hunt up some pheasants. Actually the trip is for the dog more than myself, well sorta. I have a 9 year old Griffon who has hunted in the northeast all her life. Pen raise Pheasant, partridge, and waterfowl. Would like to get her on some good old native pheasants. I grew up on a farm in Ohio and we had some great pheasant hunting on the property and the native birds are fun to hunt and a challenge for any dog.

Looking at arriving in the Watertown area on the 17th of October.

Plan on just doing the public areas and maybe ask a farmer or two about hunting on their land.

I have a couple of questions and looking for some advice.

1. Any recommendation on any specific type of gear to bring along. 2. Looking for a down home country mom & pops eatery, gun store, etc. recommendations? 3. Contact information for the local Game Warden/DEP agent whatever you call them in South Dakota.

Planning on hunting the 18th through the 21st then heading back home. Could stay a couple of days more if it feels right.

If any locals would like to meet up and maybe shoot a couple I would extend a warm welcome.

Need to understand I am not your typical easterner. I spent the first 18 years of my life on a farm in Ohio and then the next 25 in the Submarine Service/Navy.

Any info, comments or advice is welcomed.

Thanks for reading the post.

Welcome to UPH. I'm moving to Watertown this week but I'm afraid I won't be of much help as I will be looking for new hunting places myself. But if I was to give you any advice it would be to come about 3 weeks later than you are planning. The first week is always when you will see the most hunters in the field. Public areas will be getting hit hard and chances of getting on private land that first week will be slim.

As far as gear, you should plan for temps from the 30's to the 80's if your come in mid-October. Bring good boots, at least 2 pair.

Good luck and I'm sure others on this site will offer some advice also.

Bad tiem

Realize it is not the best time to hunt. Was looking at 2nd week in November. However the power plant I am an operator at change the outage to that week. So had to move the vacation time to one that gets me out there during the season without a bunch of sqauwking from the other operators here.

Hopefully we can schedule a better time in the future.

Thanks for the info.

You will do fine during the week and I would plan on staying the extra day or two. As Zeb said, plan to hunt public areas and road ditches (good option if you are by yourself) as the private land is all but booked up. Best time of day to hunt is the last hour so don't get discouraged and give up until the sun sets. Weather can be anything and change in an instant so bring various clothing. All the small towns are neat and there are plenty of them. Order the pheasant packet on line from the SDG&F. Have fun!!!

Bring 2-3 pairs of boots, and lots of socks! Feet always seem to take the worst of it.
Also don't forget the travel "health certificate" for the dog. Most of the stuff you need you can get out there if forgotten. I prefer to travel light, and if I really need something, I pick it up out there.
The place to go for guns/ammo, etc is Kone's Corner which is about 10 mi. south of Watertown on 81. It's kind of an institution out there.
Plan your hunting day trips to go west of watertown, the hunting get better in that direction.
I agree that your best hunting will be the last hour or two. Work the dog in some ditches, and see if you cant find an area of corn/bean field on one side of the road and slough on the other. You might get some good ditch action there.
I've hunted in that area quite a bit and the public land is kind of sketchy, but with patience, you will get a bird here and there. Try to work small areas and push towards the roads, especially if you can work towards a corner, or cut field fence line.
Good Luck!!

Bring 2-3 pairs of boots, and lots of socks! Feet always seem to take the worst of it.
Also don't forget the travel "health certificate" for the dog. Most of the stuff you need you can get out there if forgotten. I prefer to travel light, and if I really need something, I pick it up out there.
The place to go for guns/ammo, etc is Kone's Corner which is about 10 mi. south of Watertown on 81. It's kind of an institution out there.
Plan your hunting day trips to go west of watertown, the hunting get better in that direction.
I agree that your best hunting will be the last hour or two. Work the dog in some ditches, and see if you cant find an area of corn/bean field on one side of the road and slough on the other. You might get some good ditch action there.
I've hunted in that area quite a bit and the public land is kind of sketchy, but with patience, you will get a bird here and there. Try to work small areas and push towards the roads, especially if you can work towards a corner, or cut field fence line.
Good Luck!!

travel health certiificate? do you have to have that to hunt in south dakota?

only a pointer:

yes see page 46 of the 2011 hunting and trapping regs. If you bring a dog in from out of state you must have a travel health cert. from a vetrinarian that proves your dog has its shots up to date etc.
I've never been checked for this but I know others have been.

Back