First O/U Advice!

Angelo94

Hey guys I'm buying my first over and under shotgun. I had a couple questions because I don't want to end up buying the wrong one for what I'm looking to use if for. I skimmed it down between the browning 725 citori field and the beretta 686 silver pigeon 1. I'm going to be using this gun for both clay shooting and pheasant hunting. I think I'd be using it more for hunting as opposed to clay shooting. I know that I should shoulder each gun and shoot both of them to see what I like better but from your guys experience what would be the better gun for more hunting purposes as opposed to clay shooting. I know the browning has a mechanical tirgger I heard is better then the beretta but I don't know what else would benefit me for one as opposed to the other.

So I would like your opinion on which gun would fit me better for my purposes. Also if you have any other insights I would appreciate it!

Thank you In advance!!

Both are good guns. I would check to see if the safety is reset after you break the gun open, can be a safety issue if you are not used to that. Another issue would be how is the barrel selected, is it a selector on the safety or is it selected when you take the safety off. I have a browning b27 and the barrel is selected by which way you slide the safety off....if you slide straight up you get a dead trigger. I like mechanical triggers. Most Important is how the gun fits you. As I said above both are good guns and I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Good luck and post pics once you make your purchase.

Both are excellent shotguns. If you are going to carry it all day weight will be a concern. Fit is another area you will want to look at closely. Length of pull is easily fixed by a good smith but drop or cast off can get pricey.

Great idea to handle and shoot both before you choose the one you like the best.

Both shotguns use inertial triggers are not mechanical. Gun has to fire to set the next barrel. Very reliable set up.
The Browning does not have a automatic safety. You have to pull it back every time. Can be a plus when you get into some birds and have to do a quick reload and get right back into action. Close the action and its ready to go.

I have been shooting Browning O/U's for 30+ years and have always found them reliable, well made, and aesthetically pleasing.

I just looked it up the new 725 has a mechanical trigger called "Fire lite". I'm new to over and unders so I still have some stuff to research but I appreciate everyone's opinions and insights to help me out!

A couple of quick thoughts.

Most Berettas come with a little cast-off for a right handed shooter. Most Brownings are neutral. If you shoot right handed, that might mean that the Beretta will fit better out of the box. If you shoot left handed, a Beretta can be ordered with a little cast-on, but you're unlikely to find one on a rack.

Berettas are typically lighter, which may be important to you for hunting.

As others have already written, Brownings typically have manual safeties, Berettas typically have automatic safeties. If you form the right habits, it doesn't make much difference in the field. My sxs has an automatic safety and I love it. I'm not a serious target shooter, but even on there it doesn't bother me.

I like the appearance of the Browning better, but I like the automatic safety, the cast, and the weight of the Beretta better.

I just looked it up the new 725 has a mechanical trigger called "Fire lite". I'm new to over and unders so I still have some stuff to research but I appreciate everyone's opinions and insights to help me out!

That's impressive... Learn something new every day!:) I wonder if I could convert my older Citori's??? LOL!

Browning/Beretta

You are choosing wisely with these two brands. Both will last forever and will out live you. For me the Beretta fits better but the 725 is a model I haven't tried. If you can try and shoot 100 rounds with each gun before you buy, that would let you know which you prefer.

Like many have said above, you can't go wrong with either brand, as long as they fit and feel right to YOU.

Personally, that is the Browning for me. I like the wood better, the triggers, and the stock dimensions fit me better. But that's me.

One thing I like to do, is throw on a vest or jacket and try mounting the gun. Or work the safety with gloves. Basically see how it feels when I have my hunting gear on.I find it can change the feel dramatically.

I find it hard to have a gun work well for both hunting and clays. The older I get, the more I want the lightest gun possible that I can still shoot well for hunting. However, this isn't the ideal clays gun. I want more weight, longer barrels, and perhaps a stock that is adjustable in case the off the shelf specs don't work for clays. IMO a gas semi auto is a better do all gun than an O/U. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Justin

Thanks everyone for their insights and opinions. I'm gonna think it over and hopefully get to shoot the two guns before I make my decision. Again thanks for everyone's help!

Angelo I was in the same position as you about a year ago when the financial overlord gave me the okay to purchase one. Being a Browning guy I figured that is what I would get but after finding a gun store that had both I chose the 686. It just felt better to me especially the palm swell and I'm not a fan of ported barrels. It was the best homework assignment I ever had!!

Back