Firearm safety certificate

Byrdoglvr

I just found out a member of a party for a planned Dec. ND hunt doesn't have his firearm safety cert. Is this a formality or is it checked etc. when buying your license?

I just found out a member of a party for a planned Dec. ND hunt doesn't have his firearm safety cert. Is this a formality or is it checked etc. when buying your license?

When you buy your ND licese online it asks for your hunter ed certificate number. Make sure he is required to have it (here in TN only people born after jan 1 1969 have to have it). If his license is checked , it will be checked. I don't know about buying it in person at a license agent. Wherever he lives , he will have chances to take it in his state before then. This is the most active time of year for hunter ed to be taught. Most all states will honor any other state's certification.

It's triggered by your birth date when you purchase your license. In NoDak if he was born after 1961 he will be required to show proof taking the safety certificate course.

Is it that he lost it or never went thru the course? If he lost it, I think you can get a duplicate copy.

For Minnesota, go to the link and look under general info for duplicates. Otherwise, there is an on-line class option for adults 18 and older.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/firearms/index.html

Last edited:
in MN i think our hunter safety ED number turns into our drivers license number correct??? i have my old warn out hunter ED card with the number on it but on my drivers license its says firearm safety ...

they needed a hunter ID number in oklahoma this past spring & i gave them my drivers license number & all was fine & dandy i assume its the same in ND???

if you state is anything like MN i assume its similar ur drivers license turns into ur hunter ID card after a certain age??? i mite have to give the ND game & fish a call to get a strait answer???

In Minnesota they used my FED issued SS# to print out my new fishing license .If you hunter safety,it will be required to input on either in person or on the internet. If you do not have it on line you will be required to submit later or produce it in person. A blank is not good!

in MN i think our hunter safety ED number turns into our drivers license number correct??? i have my old warn out hunter ED card with the number on it but on my drivers license its says firearm safety ...

they needed a hunter ID number in oklahoma this past spring & i gave them my drivers license number & all was fine & dandy i assume its the same in ND???

if you state is anything like MN i assume its similar ur drivers license turns into ur hunter ID card after a certain age??? i mite have to give the ND game & fish a call to get a strait answer???

That's correct. If you have completed the course you will have a firearms certificate endorsement on the back of your license.

so just my drivers license number with the firearm safety endorsement on back is all i need to buy my ND pheasant hunting license well small game hunting license on-line correct guys??? or veteran ND hunters???

thanks for the info i think i got a handle on it but always good to be sure...

From the NDG&F website FAQ section:

Does a certificate from another state meet the requirements for getting a North Dakota hunting license?

North Dakota recognizes valid hunter education certificates issued through other state conservation or wildlife agencies. Classes taken through 4-H, FFA or NRA do not meet North Dakota requirements. In addition, while some other states recognize complete website based classes such as ?hunter-ed.com,? or ?beasafehunter.org,? these classes do not meet North Dakota requirements.

This is kind of wishy washy in it's wording. Minnesota does have an online course for adults 18 and older, so the quote above about web based classes not being recognized is skeptical at best.

I have never been asked personally because I was born before 1961 which is the cut off year for NoDak. To be sure I would contact NoDak Game and Fish for clarification on (1) whether Minnesota's online course is valid or (2) whether the firearms endorsement on the back of our drivers license is valid proof when purchasing a license.

I'm certain that the endorsement on the back of the license must be valid, but you can't be too sure.

What I think is funny is he has his "conceal and carry" permit but is required to have a firearm safety certificate that you basically get when your 12 years old. Which trumps the other here?

Well , since we are talking about hunting...the hunter ed card trumps. Conceal / carry is all about legality , defense and transport. Hunter safety is all phases of hunting situations , safe shooting etc...Several of the school systems here have hunter ed as part of the curriculum. If your friend will look on your DNR website or whatever your states agency is , they will have a list of classes or online offered. Most states with an online course require that you take the test in person.

Well , since we are talking about hunting...the hunter ed card trumps. Conceal / carry is all about legality , defense and transport. Hunter safety is all phases of hunting situations , safe shooting etc...Several of the school systems here have hunter ed as part of the curriculum. If your friend will look on your DNR website or whatever your states agency is , they will have a list of classes or online offered. Most states with an online course require that you take the test in person.

I totally disagree. My buddy is by far the most avid deer hunter I know. Bow, rifle and black powder. I guarantee he could teach us all a thing or two about deer hunting. Hunter safety classes were 35 years ago and are mostly about safety not hunting. 99 percent of hunting knowledge is gained through experience. Even though I've been hunting for 36 years now I'm still not comfortable handling a pistol. There not my thing!

I must be confused. Is firearm safety different from hunter safety? Are people in mn not required to have it? I don't expect this to impress you but I am a hunter ed instructor here and our classes are totally hunting oriented.

I must be confused. Is firearm safety different from hunter safety? Are people in mn not required to have it?

One in the same. And yes, your required to have it if you were born after December 31st, 1979 to purchase a license in minnesota.

Don't get me wrong I like the fact that ND takes safety seriously. I'm not against the rule. It just strikes me a little funny that my buddy can't hunt but a 12 year old green horn can. Of course I understand the state doesn't know a hunters experience and sets a guideline with the safety course.

Back