Feeding pheasants, am I wrong ?

McFarmer

So here on the farm the pheasants have gathered in the grove with all the sub zero temps and new snow fall.

I’ve taken to dumping a half pail of corn out there every few days, it gets cleaned up. The deer feed around the grain bins, I don’t know how but they can lick every last kernel out of an auger hopper.

When we had cows the pheasants would be in the feedlot, picking through the droppings for grain. Back when all the grain went to town via wagons the roads this time of year were lined with birds of all sorts picking up lost grain. If anyone has been around a farmer loading wagons he knows that if another half bushel would fit in the right front corner of a wagon the guy would be up,there with a scoop shovel.

No much grain blows off tarped semi trucks.

So, right or wrong I’m giving the pheasants a few dollars worth of corn these days.

Your doing nothing but good for them:10sign:
Not sure but if you have hunters/friends that hunt your land free-if this was mentioned to them if they wouldn’t want to help out-
I would—thank you

David,

My brother slipped me a Benjamin this fall after deer hunting. ;) He told me to use it for deer feed. I am going to the feed store this week to buy my next supply. I will feed between 1500-2000 pounds of corn to the critters this winter alone!

I'm also feeding west of Vicks. They are struggling badly in NW Iowa, and I assume a lot of other areas in the Midwest. I made a 300 mile trip on Monday from Spirit Lake to Cherokee to Sioux Falls to Garretson and back to Spirit Lake. Seen a lot of birds trying to feed on any type of bare ground, of which there isn't much of. I bet I seen 5 different pheasants standing beside a single stalk of beans that avoided the combine.

I'm also feeding west of Vicks. They are struggling badly in NW Iowa, and I assume a lot of other areas in the Midwest. I made a 300 mile trip on Monday from Spirit Lake to Cherokee to Sioux Falls to Garretson and back to Spirit Lake. Seen a lot of birds trying to feed on any type of bare ground, of which there isn't much of. I bet I seen 5 different pheasants standing beside a single stalk of beans that avoided the combine.

We just went on a 30 mile snowmobile ride in NE South Dakota. Conditions are tough, soybean ground has 6 or more inches of snow, and corn fields have 12 to 20 inches of snow. If you find deer pawing for feed you also find pheasants. I have 160 acres of CRP across the road and it is completely snowed in, not good for pheasants at this time of year. My place has some new trees but, they aren't tall enough to help yet. Plus I really don't want deer here yet, due to how hard the deer are on new trees at this time of the year. This winter is definitely making me look at my ground a little different in order to give the wild life some refuge in the future. SDviking

Well the Canada geese found my feeding area. So much for that.

I’ll have to find someplace with a little more cover, the geese like the open areas.

Well today will be a tough one on all wildlife, we have steady 30 MPH winds, gust to 50mph with 4 degree temps, sun is trying to shine through the blowing snow. Hope the Pheasants found some hay stacks to hide in because the CRP and Cattails are covered in snow. Hate the thought of birds being buried in snow during these storms and freezing to death. The good news is our Pro Pheasant Banquet is coming up soon and with the crazy tough winter we have had there should be plenty of interest in helping our wildlife out. SDviking

I have heard it's really bad lately. Areas with good bird numbers are getting hammered. Keep feeding, I can't imagine it does not help.

Yep. Friends of mine in SD said they are now finding dead deer. If the lack of feed and intense cold are killing the deer, it's not going to be good for the birds either.

I can replace their deer. I have 20 acres that I planted to sweet clover and winter wheat that is intended to be nesting next spring. I usually feed out there because it is good for the soil. I did not this year as I wanted to save the residue for nesting. This winter I have had 75 head of deer grazing instead. At night they come in to feed on my alfalfa and ear corn. It is frustrating being good for wildlife sometimes.

Back