Federal Premium Pheasant Forever 16 ga.

Dakotazeb

If anyone sees some 16 ga. Federal Premium Pheasant Forever loads for sale at a decent price please let me know. They are hard to find and when I do they are about $20 per box.

Last edited:
Hmmm ... it was an attempt to help, apology for linking the wrong product. It came up in a search that started with 16 ga., but I must have lost that in narrowing the search/sort criteria. The price was what you said you generally pay.

It's not clear to me what "decent price" means to you, especially searching for something you're having trouble finding. If you won't pay more than $20 or some other amount, maybe you should say that.

Last edited:
Hmmm ... it was an attempt to help, apology for linking the wrong product. It came up in a search that started with 16 ga., but I must have lost that in narrowing the search/sort criteria. The price was what you said you generally pay.

It's not clear to me what "decent price" means to you, especially searching for something you're having trouble finding. If you won't pay more than $20 or some other amount, maybe you should say that.

Geez, and Merry Christmas to you too!

Don't know what to say except again, I am sorry for messing up. I thought my suggestion was a reasonably polite response to your irritation, didn't expect Christmas sarcasm in return. :(

Last edited:
It has nothing to do with you posting the wrong link. I thought in my original post it was pretty clear that a "decent price" would be under $20. I felt you kind of ragged on me for not being more specific. But hey, I don't want to start a pissin' contest, especially on Christmas Day. So let's just both for get the whole thing and chalk it up to a mis-understanding.

So now back to my OP. If anyone runs across a "decent"/"good" deal on some of these loads let me know. Something under $20 would be what I'm looking for. And there is no hurry as I'm done hunting for the year.

Misunderstanding for sure. My bad link was to 12 ga. at $19.95. You found the price you complained was ridiculous, I never saw it.

Good luck.

Jay

Good grief! :rolleyes: My bad. I didn't see they are the 1 1/4 oz. loads. Yes, I'm looking for the 1 1/8 oz. loads. That case price at Cheaper Than Dirt is about average for those. Shipping adds another $3 per box. Shipping is sometimes a killer when ordering online. I think I'll have to ask some local store if they can order them and negotiate a price. If I could get them down around the price of the 12 ga. PF loads I'd be happy. But that may be a dream. Thanks for the help and have a great Christmas.

I bought a full case (actually I think it was two) of my favorite Federal 20ga shell for ruffed grouse several years ago. Federal discontinued them.

Figure I have enough to last me ...

I have used the PF from Federal loads in the past and always been happy with the performance but have always been able to pay in that 10-13 range for 12 or 20. I have also used the Fiochi golden Pheasant loads and been as pleased with them as the Federals. Looks like the 16 ga Fiochi can be had for under $14 so that might be an option to consider in place of the high dollar Federals and they are copper plated also.

I've been shooting the Fiocchi Golden Pheasants in 16 ga. the past few years. They have performed well. I pay about $15-16 a box for them. I came across a couple a boxes of the Federal Premium PF 1 1/8 oz. loads at $19.99 and picked them. I thought they performed a little better than the Fiocchi GP's but then it could have been my shooting also. I've also shot the blue box Federals and had good results. Any of these above loads will do the job is you do yours. It's usually not the shell or the gun to blame, but the shooter. :)

You just have to find a friend who works at Federal and have them buy you a case of rejects. I just got a case of them from my friend, we trade favors so I didn't pay a dime for the case. Don't mean to rub salt into the wound but it sure does help to live closer to the factory. My only first world problem now is that they don't box them up individually. They put all 250 rounds into a large case and tape it shut. I am always saving those individual boxes now. I think if you can get someone to but them for you the price on cases of seconds is only $50-$65 for the case.

Federal

The cheapest I can find the Federal Premium Wing Shok 11/8 oz 5s at 1425 fps is $206 at Hinterland. They have the Federal Power Shok 11/8 oz 4s or 6s at 1265 fps at $154. So I guess for $5 a box more you get a little more heat. I'm kinda partial to 5 shot for some reason and they didn't have that in the cheaper shell. I'm sure there's shipping on top of that. The Fiocchis were cheaper and I usually don't have any problem finding them on the shelf here for about $18 a box. What I'm really looking for is Kent Bismuth that they came out with recently. Able Ammo is out of Rio Bismuth now, but maybe they will get some in. Maybe I should just shoot steel out of the new Sweet 16. Hard to know. Anyway, I'll keep looking.

Back