Favorite Pheasant Choke POLL

What is your Favorite Pheasant Shotgun Choke

• Total voters
Opening week of pheasnt I shot my 28ga sxs cyl/ ic, shooting 3/4 oz 7.5s @1300fps and dropped all but one rooster down stone dead. Of course the birds weren't jumpy yet and my dog was working nice and close.

After that I switched to my 20ga ic/ mod shooting 1oz copper plated 6s @1300fps. A very deadly combo.

For the last 2 weekends I choked up to mod/ full and dropped a #5 in my second barrel.

rING Ring

WP, Then your vote should go under Cyclinder, that is the same as No Choke..........Bob

Pattern Master has a broken ring system that grabs the wad, this shortens the shot string giving a denser fuller pattern! where using more choke would would make the shot-string longer! do you have a "OTHER"

Last edited:
Ive been using a pattern master with large steel shot for over 10 years it has NO CHOKE AT ALL! Its great for late season pheasant hunting with steel SHOT LIKE 2 OR BB

WP, No Other... You Stated "No Choke At All." That means open barrel......... cyclinder......Bob

Last edited:
I use skeet for my first barrel, with Federal Wing Shok #6's, then if I need my second barrel, it's IC with Winchester Super Pheasant (copper plated) #5's for a little more reach - and a lot more stopping power.

I Voted Skeet

I shoot skeet (first barrel) and IC after reading articles about the lethality and good patterns of modern shot shells. I bag about 90% of my birds on the first shot, so I voted for skeet. If I had a single barrel gun, my vote would have been IC. When the wind is up or I am in a larger (noisier) hunting party into the season, I will go IC and mod. When focusing on quail, I go cylinder and skeet and have had no problem killing pheasants with 7 1/2 or 8 shot through cylinder on fairly tight shots.

Last edited:
I have an AYA 4/53 16b choked cyl/ic. I'm thinking about sending it to Mike Orlen for tubes. I think a cyl/IM or an IC/IM might be a good option for wild pheasant. An open bore for the close ones and a tighter bore for the wild flushers.
What does everyone think?:confused:

I have an AYA 4/53 16b choked cyl/ic. I'm thinking about sending it to Mike Orlen for tubes. I think a cyl/IM or an IC/IM might be a good option for wild pheasant. An open bore for the close ones and a tighter bore for the wild flushers.
What does everyone think?:confused:

Well, I choked my 12 with IC/IM the first time I went out. I found it was too much gun... But, that's just my opinion. I've done far better with SK/IC.

My Merkel 1620 is choked IC/M and I love that gun. I bought the AYA when I broke the stock on my Merkel and just don't feel good about the cyl/IC choking. If I put tubes in it it might be more versatile?

Improved Cyclinder, 1 1/8 oz steel, 32.5 gr of Alliant Steel with Precision orange wad, Remington hulls 3 in. 12 ga

I only own 12 ga shotguns so don't give me grief. Grew up with them and will die with them.

http://www.precisionreloading.com/

Say that when you get old. The pain of a 12 ga. recoil will have you reaching for a 20 gauge like the rest of us old fr*** did. I'm even into a 28 ga. now but they do get the job done........Bob

Say that when you get old. The pain of a 12 ga. recoil will have you reaching for a 20 gauge like the rest of us old fr*** did. I'm even into a 28 ga. now but they do get the job done........Bob
OLD! my full size 12 gage only weighs 6.2 and its gas operated and probably kicks less, and when you haft to shoot steel for every thing it can. I'm so OLD I remember lead!

Bobby, said it for me "old fart", translation, decreasing muscle mass, weight conscience with regards to guns, (me too!), equals 20 gauge or lower. My little girls shoot 20's, they are already on the way up to 12's, Dad and Mom dropping weight and recoil!

You don't have to be old to appreciate a nice, petite sub gauge. I am a young man (24) but on the smaller side (140lbs) so a good 20 or 28 is my gun of choice. Take a first time dove hunter out with a 12ga and they will be cussing it and the birds once the shoot is over.:D

OLD! my full size 12 gage only weighs 6.2 and its gas operated and probably kicks less, and when you haft to shoot steel for every thing it can. I'm so OLD I remember lead!

Funny you should be saying that. I was talking with my Doctor today about quitting smoking. He asked how long I had been smoking. I replied about 67 years. Back in the days of WWII. Smoking at 10 years old was common........Bob

Back