Favorite O/U 16 gauge?

My lovely wife owe's me a shotgun, I'm covered for turkey, waterfowl and deer with my current lineup.

I'd like a 16 gauge O/U for chasing rooster/quail and sporting clays.

Looking at Fausti or possibly a F.A.I.R. of some model. Would like to stay under $2500.

Thoughts?

I was looking at that one, only thing holding me back is I don't like that style of stock!

I'll get to the gun shop and look around some more. Being a young guy I can't justify $2500 really, but I'm looking at it as a long term investment hah!

I've had a Browning Citori White Lightning 16 ga. with 26" barrels for 10+ years and absolutely love it.

The 16 ga. Citori's can be bought for several hundred less than your max price.

Franchi Instinct SL in 16 gauge might be another good option at almost 1K less than your max. Super light and quick handling.

I do like the way the Browning’s handle, especially the Superlight. I vowed not to get another until they change out the trigger. Too many miss fires on the second shot. Not just one gun either. Have had 3 different Superlights and Citoris. And yes, they were clean. Maybe the new 725?

Browning Citori Feather Lightning 16. My dad purchased it somewhere around 2004. After his passing, it now resides in my safe. Outstanding shooter although it does let you know it's there when you pull the trigger.

Been reading a lot of unhappy reviews regarding the firing pin failing on the 525's in 16 gauge-for a $1500 gun that seems unacceptable to me.

Seach continues!

Been reading a lot of unhappy reviews regarding the firing pin failing on the 525's in 16 gauge-for a $1500 gun that seems unacceptable to me.

Seach continues!

That is the first I've ever heard of that issue. Like I said before, I've had my White Lightning for over 10 years and never experience a single issue with it. I wouldn't give up on the Citori's unless they don't fit you well. I think they are an extremely well built gun.

They are built on a true 16 gauge frame I assume? Hard to find info on some of those sites, still fairly new to researching guns online I guess!

Yes they are. Actually from what I've read in the past the 16 ga. Citori's are built on a modified 20 ga. frame. My White Lightning with 26" barrels is about 7 lbs. I would guess the feather weights would shave a pound or so off that. But realize that with lighter weight come more recoil. So you have to find that happy medium for yourself. Good luck.

I think it VERY unlikely that you'd go wrong w/ a Citori. Have shot several 16 ga Citoris & never experienced a failure to fire, whether ammo was factory or homemade. A buddy of mine has put 1000's of rounds through his without failure. They're just really well made guns. I vaguely recall reading online posts about this supposed issue though, maybe 10-12 yrs ago. As I recall, the issue was not widespread & the prevailing opinion was that particular Remington hulls (reloaded) were so cheaply made that they caused problems. (or maybe it was primers? or both?)

I think it VERY unlikely that you'd go wrong w/ a Citori. Have shot several 16 ga Citoris & never experienced a failure to fire, whether ammo was factory or homemade. A buddy of mine has put 1000's of rounds through his without failure. They're just really well made guns. I vaguely recall reading online posts about this supposed issue though, maybe 10-12 yrs ago. As I recall, the issue was not widespread & the prevailing opinion was that particular Remington hulls (reloaded) were so cheaply made that they caused problems. (or maybe it was primers? or both?)

Thanks for the heads up, they aren't a real popular gun around here so I'll have to search around!

What loads do you like through your 16?

I have a 2019 Citori Shot show special 525. It is my favorite shotgun. Killed a lot of pheasants. Had a Franchi Instinct SL and also, killed a lot of birds but the latter just didn't fit well. I didn't shoot it consistently and given its incredible light weight, though a great gun to carry in the field, on the range it beat the h*** out of me.

Back