Extra Rossa MAX 28ga 1 1/16oz

gjw

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has used this load and what you thought of it? I'd like to try it for Sharptails.

One thing however, do you think stuffing 1 1/16oz into a 28 is a bit much? How do you think it will effect overall performance (longer shot string, blown patterns etc)?

Your thoughts please!

Thanks so much!

Greg

No expert here for sure, but I have hunted sharpies and huns with my 28 gauge Uggie grade 1 several times...I think I have used a B & P load with #8 shot, 3/4 oz I believe...has been effective...SK1/SK2....again, no expert, but I would be a bit concerned that 1 1/16 oz of shot may be a bit much...did I mention that I am no expert? But the dozen or so birds I have killed with it have been quite dead, maybe one or two cripples...I do love sharpie hunting...can't wait!!!! less than 3 months!!! I hear things are looking good across much of the sharptail range in both Dakota's...does that sound right to you??? Hope so!

Hi BB, well seems like the 1 1/16oz question is now moot. Aerostar is out of stock and won't be getting anymore. Oh well, guess I'll just try 1oz loads like I do in my 12, 16 & 20ga guns. Just one of those "I wonder questions" anyway.

Anyway, we had a good winter and the spring has been good, it's been hot lately and I hope we get some rain soon, that will only help. I think there will be an increase in the population (I hope!!!).

Thanks for your thoughts!

Best!

Greg

consider looking at the Polywad "Gram Crak-R" it is a 20gram load that comes in #6 and #7 1/2. I live in Northern MI and use on Ruffed Grouse have also shot 2 Sharptails in the UP (limited season here) and works really well, has buffer that helps the shot string (IMHO)

here is the website- http://www.polywad.com/gramcrakr.html

Yes way to much in that thin dia. shell.

If that is what you need to use to feel confident with the 28ga. - use them, but pattern the shell to make sure it is decent.

Early season ND sharptail is usually a close at your feet type deal if the weather is warm and the birds usually do not move once knocked down.

I use 3/4 ounce loads in my 28ga. shells.

I used those shells in the prairies, great medicine for sharpies and huns in #7 1/2 out of my Beretta o/u. I havent found any in a couple seasons but being using the Rio 1oz. #7 1/2. They also work like a charm! The heavy payloads work well out of my gun with open chokes; IC, C, LM and just so so with a M.

Try them if you can find them!

I have not tried the 28ga Rio's but I do like the Rio line overall for other gauges...thinking the Rio bizmuth 28ga loads may be fun for teal or close up pheasants in areas where non-tox required.
One other option to consider in the 28ga is RST. They make a load with #7 shot and there again seems to be the perfert first barrel choice for ruffed grouse with the #6 polywad in the 2nd. Would imagine it would work really well with sharptails, I had not found the RST shells when I shot the 2 sharptails before.
28's are fun...

Back