Extended chokes?

ducksoup

I have a made in Japan, Browning A5, 12 ga. Lite with the standard Invector choke system in it. I've never used anything but the standard Browning flush mounted chokes and i was thinking about trying a couple of the extended chokes. If for no other reason then the ease of changing tubes in the field. But I'd also like to see some pattern improvement too. For those who have used them, especially in the standard Invector system, what do you think about them? I was thinking of an Improved cylinder and a modified, Or maybe an improved modified? I've heard that they should improve your patterns? But if thats the case maybe i should opt for more open chokes like maybe skeet and a light modified. I'd really like to hear some personal experience with these and maybe some thoughts on the different manufacturers. I know that ammo makes a difference too and I'm thinking of switching to the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant in 2-3/4" #5 & #6. I shoot both wild and preserve pheasants over a flushing Lab who hunts pretty close.
Thanks for any advice.

I hunt w/ a Japanese Sweet 16 w/ Invector chokes. I've never bought other tubes for this gun, but did for my other guns. I had good luck with both Carlson & Briley. Back when I did TONS of reloading (mostly 12 gauge), I also did tons of chronographing & patterning. I was really surprised by the difference in performance of a particular load from one gun to another, even from my Montefeltro to my buddy's Montefeltro. They're really gun-specific, especially when we did alot with high-velocity steel. But if you're not looking to buy a bunch of tubes & test them all with various loads, I'd recommend Briley. As for which constriction, it sounds like most of your shots are reasonably close, in which case it doesn't seem like IM would be all that useful. IC & MOD seem reasonable, and I'd also consider a light-mod. Also, I'll probably get lambasted for this, but I think Golden Pheasant loads suck. At least they did out of MY Sweet 16. I assume the problem was pattern related w/ my gun. But it didn't take many 25-yard straight-away cripples for me to throw the Golden Pheasants away. Disclaimer again, that was MY gun w/ Invector tubes. (couldn't have been the shooter) That said, Fiocchi "High Velocity" have been great!! And they're cheaper! Go figure - same mass & velocity (in 16 ga. anyway) - way different performance.

Steel with A5 Japanese invector plus?

I was wondering about the chokes for the A5 Japanese invector plus. Is the improved modified good for kills at 35-40 yards with steel shot? I need to do some patterning with my gun. I was curious about if you all came across some decent steel brands in your pattern testing. I plan on using just the browning brand of chokes.

Also, I'll probably get lambasted for this, but I think Golden Pheasant loads suck. At least they did out of MY Sweet 16. I assume the problem was pattern related w/ my gun. But it didn't take many 25-yard straight-away cripples for me to throw the Golden Pheasants away.

I'll get lambasted with you. I and my brother had essentially the same experience with the Golden Pheasant loads. I with a Weatherby Orion w/ tubes and he with an old Charles Daly Trap Gun with fixed chokes. We went through about two boxes each wondering how we had totally lost our ability to shoot a shotgun before we switched to Federal Pheasant Forever loads and suddenly our mojo came back.

We gave away the rest of the case of Golden P. Haven't used them since either.

Yet, I have friends that use them out of their various brand guns with some success. I guess it is gun specific as you say.

Duck -- Here are my thoughts on extended choke tubes.

Some pros and cons of extended choke tubes include:

1) extended tubes are usually easier/faster to change (usually no wrench needed),

2) most extended tubes identify the choke/constriction on the exposed portion where you can see it while some flush tubes don?t have notches to indicate choke constrictions,

3) extended tubes provide muzzle protection from possible muzzle damage (dint) that could make choke removal or instillation difficult,

4) extended tubes provide additional length which allows for the possibility of different choke geometry and design (ramp angle and length, choke angle and length, parallel section length, porting and endless marketing gimmicks) which may or may not provide improved performance,

5) extended tubes usually weigh more than flush tubes which may or may not be a good thing for your gun?s balance,

6) some shooters think the extended tubes look cool and some like the traditional uncluttered look of flush tubes, and

7) extended tubes are generally more expensive (the choke makers like that).

None of this means extended choke tubes work/perform "better" (whatever that means) than flush chokes. It really depends on the kind of performance you need/want from your chokes and loads for your type of hunting/shooting. However, if you aren't going to take the time to pattern them properly to find out how they really perform then it doesn't really matter, just use what you like.

All that said, I would ask you what you mean by pattern improvement?

Basically, choke constriction and geometry vary with manufacturers so patterns can vary from one to another even if they are marked the same, e.g., IC, Mod, et.

And, the standard Browning Invector chokes tend to have looser choke constrictions, when compared to historic choke constrictions, than some other brands. That doesn't make them better or worse, just different. The pattern board is the only way to really know how your choke/load combo is performing at any specific distance.

If you want to get some extended chokes, Carlson's chokes are a reasonable priced choke.

As far as pheasant loads, normal 12ga 2 3/4" 1 1/4 oz #5 lead loads are great all around pheasant loads.

Good luck.

I was wondering about the chokes for the A5 Japanese invector plus. Is the improved modified good for kills at 35-40 yards with steel shot? I need to do some patterning with my gun. I was curious about if you all came across some decent steel brands in your pattern testing. I plan on using just the browning brand of chokes.

Assuming you're talking about 12 gauge, in theory you shouldn't need to go as tight as IM at those ranges. Since steel tends to be tighter than lead, IC or light-mod should suffice. MOD at most. That said, you'll just have to pattern them and see. Sometimes steel is tough to hold together, particularly if velocities start to scream. A couple of my all-time favorite duck & goose loads (reloads) required IM, but they were in the 1500-1600 fps range.

Last edited:
Pop -- I would agree with A5 on using either an IC or LM for 35-40 yard shots with 12ga steel loads. The pattern board will tell you which works best with your steel load.

As far as steel loads, the Rem Sportsman load is a good affordable load. For pheasants, try the 12ga 1 1/8 oz #2 Rem Sportsman steel load. Research conducted by Tom Roster on the effectiveness of steel shot on pheasants tested #6, #4 and #2 steel loads. The #2 steel load was determined to perform best on pheasants. You can google that research and read it for yourself.

Good luck.

Extended choke tubes

Get the Trulock sporting clay chrome plated chokes for no other reason than that they look cool. Same as the hunter chokes other than the finish. Shooting pheasants and swinging a golf club just the same. Muscle memory and mostly in your head. The polished tubes out the end of your barrel will make you think you can't miss. ha

Thank you all for your responses. Joe Hunter, i have patterned my current skeet, IC and modified chokes and although they work fine, I've found that there always seems to be one quadrant in the pattern that has a noticeable difference in shot density. This is especially true in my current modified tube. It's my understanding that the extended tubes, with their longer forcing cone, seem to lessen shot deformation and help to reduce the flyers and give a more uniform pattern. I was just wondering what peoples personal experiance has been with this? As far as trying several of them, at $40+ dollars each, that ain't gonna happen. I think I'm going to start out by trying the Carlson extended tubes in improved cylinder and a modified and we'll see what happens.

I've found that it's usually easier to get prettier patterns by switching/altering loads, rather than by changing choke brand. Once you find a load that your gun & chokes seem to like, then it's just a matter of tightening or loosening. This is generally speaking. There are obviously going to be exceptions. In terms of 1-1/4 oz., 2-3/4" 12 ga. lead loads, I've found most guns/chokes prefer velocities below 1,350. And with lead 4's, 5's or 6's, there's really not much call for higher velocity for roosters.

Thank you all for your responses. Joe Hunter, i have patterned my current skeet, IC and modified chokes and although they work fine, I've found that there always seems to be one quadrant in the pattern that has a noticeable difference in shot density. This is especially true in my current modified tube. It's my understanding that the extended tubes, with their longer forcing cone, seem to lessen shot deformation and help to reduce the flyers and give a more uniform pattern. I was just wondering what peoples personal experiance has been with this? As far as trying several of them, at $40+ dollars each, that ain't gonna happen. I think I'm going to start out by trying the Carlson extended tubes in improved cylinder and a modified and we'll see what happens.

IC and Mod is a good start. If you want to try just one possibly a light modified which splits the difference between the other two.

You can get bogged down on this...

Try your factory tubes first. Pheasant loads are not very demanding. Generally small shot at modest velocities. Chances are you'll be fine for most situations with a plain-Jane mod. tube.

I have a tackle box of chokes for my waterfowl reloads...Terror, Kick's, Briley, Carlson's...waaaaaay too many. But these are loads of larger steel shot with some pushing 1650+ fps. harder to control these patterns.

For my money...Carlson's have been very consistent performers at fair prices.

Again...each situation is unique. For a standard load of 1 1/4 of #6 at 1250-1300 fps you can do just about anything. I have a favorite hand load that I stuff with 1 1/2 oz. of nickle #4's at about 1450. Push by a soup ladle of 7625. I use a Carlson's extended tube at 0.705 to keep it together. The key is to not assume that every load will work with the choke set up you have. To be sure and to be effective you'll need time at the patterning board.

that is good advice above
I have used an extended mid range choke made by Hevishot
and have had great success with it over the past few duck
seasons

Back