Entry Level Gun For The Wife

Dami0101

The wife has decided to join me for hunting this year but being 5' 3" non of mine or my fathers guns will fit her. I know Franchi offers two women's specific guns and Syren has a line, though it's way out of the budget. Does anyone else make a women's line of guns?

A youth model shotgun would probably work just fine. Mossberg, Winchester, and beretta to name a few make semi automatic in 20 gauge. My nephews son has a mossberg and it works fine for him. Price is well under 600

I came across a CZ Redhead deluxe 20ga O/U Youth model at a steal of a price. Brand new, but a display shelf model. New it has a 13" LOP and 24" barrel. I slipped on an aftermarket 3/4" recoil pad and it is about perfect for small frame shooters.

The wife has decided to join me for hunting this year but being 5' 3" non of mine or my fathers guns will fit her. I know Franchi offers two women's specific guns and Syren has a line, though it's way out of the budget. Does anyone else make a women's line of guns?

Yes, CZ USA makes a gun specifically for the small framed shooters. It is the SCTP sterling model # 06491. it is built with a lower toe and heel and has and adjustable comb. Please contact PM me should you have further questions or feel free to call my office.

Thanks
Rich aka Kick'em Up
CZ USA National Sales Manager
800.955.4486 Ext 4307

Here is what I wrote a while ago for another thread on the same subject.

Depending on her frame the stock fit will be far more important than gauge selection. Women have longer skinner necks than males in most cases so stock with more drop at the heel and toe are better for getting the butt of the stock fully into the shoulder of the shooter. I see a lot of times where women and small framed shooters use a standard stock, and when the put the gun to their shoulder they have to raise the butt of the gun so high to get the right sight picture that most of the pad is high above their shoulder pocket thus causing most of the recoil on a small are of the butt. . Here is good example of a stock designed for women and small framed shooter. Notice the drop at the heel and toe

View attachment 8414

Last edited:
My wife has a Tristar Viper 20ga youth model semi-auto, and she really likes it.
13" length of pull, 24" barrel with choke tubes, and walnut stock. Around $500 bucks.

It's lightweight, but not much recoil. She also has a Yildiz 20ga youth model O/U, but it doesn't fit her very well, she has to really lower her head down to the stock quite a bit. I guess the Tristar has more drop, because it fits her better. She's 5' 6". (The Yildiz kicks like a mule. Doesn't bother her, actually, but you couldn't pay me to shoot it)

She hasn't had a chance to hunt phez with the Tristar yet, but she did shoot a bunch of ducks last January with it, using Fiocchi 3" steel #4's.

Academy Sports has a sale on right now. A 20 ga. coach gun sxs double with external hammers is $290.00 and a Yildiz o/u double in 12 or 20 is $380. Academy carries quite a few models under $700.00.

If she into semi-auto shotguns, have her try a Beretta A300 outlander on for size. If she's into pumps.. any of the youth model Remington, Mossberg will work.

If she into semi-auto shotguns, have her try a Beretta A300 outlander on for size. If she's into pumps.. any of the youth model Remington, Mossberg will work.
Autos are fine,but the pumps will have more recoil since no gas operating system to vent the gases.

My daughter is 5’0” and can’t swing any of my 12 gauges so last night after almost 4 months of back and forth she decided on the Mossberg Maverick. Her other choices were the Mossberg 500 super mini and the Remington 870 Youth. The reason she chose the Maverick... of all things was the safety is a push button in front of the trigger instead of the thumb slide on the top of the action/stock. It was easier and more comfortable for her and far more comfortable for my wallet so I wasn’t upset. Out the door with tax from Academy it was $206. I shot it tonight and it actually is comfortable even for me. Hope it helps! 👍

Yes, semi-autos will have less recoil over a pump or O/U. But bird shot does not have a lot of recoil, imo.
If she opts for a 20ga or 410, it will be even more manageable for a smaller frame person.
I have seen teenage girls and small frame women compete in trap with o/u shotguns. No reason your wife can't handle it, unless it's just preference.

Has your wife tried trap shooting or practice shooting bird shot? If not, I suggest maybe taking her to a range that rents shotguns and let her try some out to get a feel for it.

She hasn't tried shooting anything yet, she has her FA safety field day in mid September and then is signed up for a few ladies nights at a gun range.

Let her shoot some of the guns at the range and the classes she's taking, if they have guns for the petit. If not, you'll have to get her something soon or she'll be discouraged by the poor fit and overweight guns. But she has access to decent fitting guns in these venues, let her get some shooting experience so she may have an idea of what she might want. While a gas 20ga is a soft shooter, I prefer hunting with partners that have break action guns as I prefer them as well. Look at used guns as well. So many people categorically rule out used guns and miss out on many great guns that can be had for much less than new. While I've bought my share of new guns, I've bought many times more used guns.

Back