Dove Scouting, Quail Pointing

cheesy

Went out to do some dove scouting yesterday morning, results were less than dissapointing in that aspect, saw a few, but not near what I'd hoped for.

The bright spot was the quail I saw. Saw a pair running down the road, I stopped the truck and they and their 2/3 grown covey flushed and landed in a waterway. I dropped my year old pup out that had never even seen a quail before, she didn't act to interested until she busted one and then it was game on. Loaded her back in the truck, not 300 yards down the road there is another pair in the road, I drive past to get the wind right, and they head to the ditch. I dump the pup out, she runs down the road and immediately locks up and allows me to flush them, this time they seemed to be about 1/2 grown. I loaded her back up, start driving down the road, round the corner another couple hundred yards from the second covey, and yet again, another pair in the road. They were on a side I didn't have permission on, so I just drove up and looked, another covey flushed, 2/3 grown or better.

Looking good 6 miles from my house anyways.

Went out to do some dove scouting yesterday morning, results were less than dissapointing in that aspect, saw a few, but not near what I'd hoped for.

The bright spot was the quail I saw. Saw a pair running down the road, I stopped the truck and they and their 2/3 grown covey flushed and landed in a waterway. I dropped my year old pup out that had never even seen a quail before, she didn't act to interested until she busted one and then it was game on. Loaded her back in the truck, not 300 yards down the road there is another pair in the road, I drive past to get the wind right, and they head to the ditch. I dump the pup out, she runs down the road and immediately locks up and allows me to flush them, this time they seemed to be about 1/2 grown. I loaded her back up, start driving down the road, round the corner another couple hundred yards from the second covey, and yet again, another pair in the road. They were on a side I didn't have permission on, so I just drove up and looked, another covey flushed, 2/3 grown or better.

Looking good 6 miles from my house anyways.

It is great to hear of quail success!

No kidding, we don't have much of that around here anymore. I became old enough to hunt in the early 90's, dad and I'd go out and move 3 or 4 coveys a day, get 4 or 5 birds, I thought that was pretty good. He tells the stories of moving 12 or 15 coveys a day, not bothering to hunt singles, and a limit wasn't a big deal. We don't even hunt those pastures anymore as the birds just aren't there.

I just about posted this in the Kansas forum, the birds were only a mile from the Kansas border, and that is where I do 90% of my hunting anyways, I'm just a Show-Me transplant. :)

Cheesy- glad to see youre cheering for the right schools! big game this weekend! UCLA is going to be amazed when they arrive in the great state of kansas haha

Engineering school and pheasant hunting didn't mix perfectly, I made it out but my GPA would have been slightly higher if I hadn't gone to Abilene and Clay Center following German Shorthairs around as much. I was up there when KSU was putting it to everybody, 1998-2003, hopefully Snyder can get it back to that.

Is there any public land over that way? I'm in the springfield area and would love to get over there and chase after some quail.

bdub-

All those birds I referenced last fall were on public ground. I went out the first Saturday of the season on that same ground, there was a truck parked at every corner with a dog box in the back. I walked a couple miles trying to avoid bumping into others and never saw a bird. Heard a lot of shooting around the area though, probably too much shooting for as little ground as it is. I never even bothered hunting after that weekend for quail.

Talbot (just north of Mt Vernon) is a good place to go for doves, I have shot many a limit in under an hour there. Not sure what it is like this year for crops, but if they got any sunflowers planted, the dove hunting will be good.

There's a couple of places close to me (Lebanon area) that are loaded with sunflowers. About time to do some scouting.

Back