Dove hunting report

Bob Peters

I've wanted to go for a long time and finally been giving it a whirl this year. I got 3 sunday night in SW MN. Missed a bunch, but I really didn't hunt that long. On the way down I stopped to check out the duck pond I found on public land and there wasn't any waterfowl there, maybe somebody hunted it saturday and scared them all away, or maybe they were out in the field feeding. The habits of ducks have always been a mystery to me. I did have a big juvenile rooster put a scare in me as I was setting out dove decoys. He jumped out from right under my foot and let out a single screechy sounding crow. No color yet except a big bright red eye patch! Another large young of the year bird flew the opposite direction into a corn field. Monday morning I tried a new wma that I'd never hunted before and never saw a dove. I pulled the plug after 30 minutes and moved to a different public spot. No scouting at all, but I knew there was a nice pond nearby on private property. Sure enough, there was a steady stream of doves coming through. I was happy just to get one bird! I ended up knocking down 7, including a double. I missed lots of birds too, those little doves are easy to kill, but tough to hit. Even though I missed the bulk of the morning flight I still saw a good amount of birds. Heck I had one land in the scrubby little tree I was sitting under about 10 feet off my gun barrel. I didn't have the heart to pull the trigger on him as he cooed away. I included a picture of the duck pond I saw last sunday and also a pic from a food plot I saw the same day while scouting pheasant spots. Is it sorghum or milo? I hunted this spot before and think it's the first time the dnr put a food plot on it. Thanks for info.

Attachments

• 20230827_110435.jpg
    20230827_110435.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 20230827_073207.jpg
    20230827_073207.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
Back