Dog skid plate vest that prevents chafing - recommendations?

TGM

I have a smaller sized Golden Retriever (55#) and can't find a good skid plate vest that doesn't chaff at her front "arm pits". She doesn't have much distance between her front legs. I've tried Cuga - medium/narrow chest and Mendota (large). Anyone have this problem?

I like the Mendota, maybe cut it back and have my wife sew the edge?

i've been using the K9 Topcoat sporting vest several years now. seems to be good skid plate, and overall protection, never seen any chafing. great for setter in snow. they keep changing the material, and its now over $100. my last setter could shred one every 2-3 years, but i took it as saved having to get some stitches.

Try this one. I've had excellent luck with them.

I have a Cabelas that works well

I have the Cabelas brand as well. Have not experienced any rubbing, chaffing issues with it.
I also, for the just in case, will coat the armpit areas on the vest and on the dog with Musher's Secret.
I learned the hard way with a neoprene vest for waterfowl hunting that wasn't properly cut.....essentially took the dog out for the better part of a month from any hunting activity.

Almost any skid plate will have to be customized for your dog as every dog is different in the chest. Often I will slip a kids t-shirt under the vest as additional protection. Clean out often as plant stems work their way in. Perform a tailgate inspection between hunting spots.

Switching to the Cuga was the best move I have made in a while.

Try this one. I've had excellent luck with them.
I have this one for my PP and she still gets her upper arms/pits chafed.

I have a smaller sized Golden Retriever (55#) and can't find a good skid plate vest that doesn't chaff at her front "arm pits". She doesn't have much distance between her front legs. I've tried Cuga - medium/narrow chest and Mendota (large). Anyone have this problem?

I like the Mendota, maybe cut it back and have my wife sew the edge?
I tried three different "skid-plates" (Cabela's, Cuga and Sylmar) and they all chaffed my dog's armpits and the inside of their forearms. The solution that works for my dogs is wearing a toddler long-sleeve t-shirts under the “skid-plate” as Wind River recommended. I buy 7 to 10 t-shirts per year for a couple of dollars each from a local thrift store and cut the sleeve's length to just above the end of their forearm. If the shirts get ripped-up, I put a new shirt on the dogs.

I have this one for my PP and she still gets her upper arms/pits chafed.
I've used both the Cabelas and the Sylmar for probably 20 years and never had one of my Brittanys get chafed pits. Obviously each dog has it's own size and fit so you have to go with what works for your dog.

I have only used a skid plate on my #2 Britt (orange roan) with little fur on her underside. Wheat stubble cut too high was pretty rough on her. Now days where do you find wheat stubble ? I will occasionally use a blaze orange "track jacket" during deer season.

Neoprene vests can often be trimmed ... pretty sure my Britt in my avatar wearing the neoprene camo vest had the front arm wholes trimmed larger. I do not hunt waterfowl much like I did say 10 -20 years ago.

I have a mud river orange bag full of dog gear that I do not use often, but have in case. Camo neoprene vests, orange vests, orange skid plates, boots, first aid kit, etc...

Scheels had what appears to be a really nice designed dog hunting vest. Held one in my hands - chose not to purchase. Reviews are mixed, but it is something to consider.

Back