Ditch Hunting?

hunter94

a friend of mine told me there is a bill or hearing coming up on closing the hunting of ditches in SD? Pressure from angry farmers?
anyone got any info on this?

This issue has been brought up for many years, it's nothing new. Yes, certain farmers/ranchers would like to close ditch and road hunting in South Dakota. Especially those farmers/ranchers that also have pheasant hunting operations and preserves. Thus far it's never gained the support of the GFP commission. I don't see anything changing in the near future but who knows further down the road.

I agree that it would be a very big hit to the income generated from out of state hunters if it was no longer allowed. Hopefully those that make the decisions understand that.

I don’t think the landowner folks own the right-of-way in SD, and are not taxed on the property. I think it’s different in ND, and the land owner owns to the center of the road, and pays taxes on it. Anyway, I’d be pretty disappointed if they disallowed ditch hunting. I walk ditches a little every season in SD, and it adds another dimension to the hunt. Looking for decent ditches in SD has been part of the fun for me. Almost like a treasure hunt. Hope things stay the same.

Ditches

I believe that SD landowners DO own the right-of-way (the ditches) and they DO pay tax on that property. Perhaps an actual SD landowner will chime in and verify it here. I have, however, been told by farming/ranching friends in SD that this in fact the case.

It’s interesting that it is almost always referred to as “the public right-of-way” when you read articles
from the DOT or from court cases that involve land disputes, fencing rights, and easements. I bet you are right. The farmers probably do own right up to the center of the road out there and pay taxes on it. My dog usually retrieves birds that I’ve shot in the right-of-way, that go down on private land, so I haven’t had an issue with venturing over the fence line. I always make sure she’s not carrying a gun when she goes over.

They should not mess with the way we hunt. It is a traditional way to hunt and I really love it. If they start passing laws like that hunting will be gone. I really love hunting and I think that it is something natural for us to do and I really don't want anyone messing with that. I was in need of a new scope few months ago and I was looking online for new ones. I found really good rifle scopes on ATN website. I bought a nightvision scope and it is the best scope I ever had. It has really smooth zoom and it is a smart scope so you can connect it to your phone to make really good videos on it.

Last edited:
I hope they don't do it, it is a tradition.

when it comes to revenue, they realize a foolish move would kill motels, food joints, etc.
especially this year, many won't make the long drive staying in flea bag motels due to virus presence with lots of risk in any lodging.

Landowners do pay taxes to the middle of the road on township roads. The legislature is not in session so nothing is going to pass this year. The state has decided to give the public the right to hunt that which generally includes whatever can be reached with a shotgun on the other side of the fence. It is unlikely that the urban members of the legislature will change anything.

Last edited:
Back