Deer Season

Deuce

Best of luck to everyone chasing whitetails starting this weekend with a firearm.

I'll be splitting time between the stand and chasing pheasants, with maybe a sit for ducks if I find open water.

Terrible so far. Didn't see a thing on Saturday and Sunday morning had a trespasser walk right through the farm my buddies and I hunt while we were set up. We're the only ones with permission, have been for 40 years. Frustrating.

Took the beast out in the rain yesterday afternoon. She busted 1 pheasant and I saw 1 more along the road leaving.

Anyone else having any luck?

Passed on a little 6 pointer yesterday afternoon and my Dad got a nice doe about an hour ago we pushed out of standing corn for him.

It ain't easy on public land.

Passed on a little 6 pointer yesterday afternoon and my Dad got a nice doe about an hour ago we pushed out of standing corn for him.

It ain't easy on public land.

How long is your firearm season up there?

You've got some time yet plus some snow for tracking.:thumbsup: Good luck!

It's been pretty quiet up in the north woods. Mild weather over the weekend turned into blizzard on Monday. We hunt in Langlade County, on County Forest Land that my grandfather and dad started hunting in the early 50's when dad got out of the service. We've shot a lot of deer up there over the years and some great bucks, but these days it's slim pickins. We don't have much competition because most guys have left after seeing no deer.

For years there was a group of 4 dentists who hunted together. Those guys have all passed away. Same with a few guys who were raised locally and came back to stay with ma and hunt. Then there are the guys who come up to ATV during the summer, love the look of the land and come back to deer hunt, but don't return after one season of seeing no deer.

We're spread out over 2 sections of large woods and swamps. I don't see anyone while in the woods, which is the way I prefer it. So far in camp, 3 deer have been seen by 7 guys. One buck was taken on opening day by the nephew of one of those old local guys my Dad knew back in the day.

Tonight after closing up the office, my wife and I will head to our place in Vilas Co. One of our daughters will be joining us for the weekend. I'll hunt during the day. My brother in law will join us for Thanksgiving dinner. I get the best of both worlds, spending some quality time with family and in the northwoods hunting deer.

Good luck out there the rest of the season and be safe!

Very bad deer opening weekend for me, but I'm not really a deer hunter. What was very encouraging is that I saw 3 pheasants from my stands and heard cocks cackling multiple times from multiple directions in the two days I tried to shoot a deer.

Others in the party saw pheasants as well.

(we hunt Fond du Lac/ Washington/Dodge Co area.)

Thought about carrying my shotgun with bird shot day 2 but then I would have seen the buck of a lifetime...:eek:

I took a nice doe late Saturday. Had nothing but hassles up to that point with people wandering where they shouldn't be on the property. :roll eyes:

At the very end of the day I was with my longtime hunting buddy pissing and moaning about my day and a doe stepped out in the corn stubble about 180 years out. I resigned myself to let him take the shot as he had been saying how badly he wanted some deer meat. He kneeled and said, 'You take the shot, she's facing us, I can't get steady and have no confidence in hitting it!" So I quickly looked for anything for a rest and there was nothing, just weeds and briars around that end of the cornfields. Down on my belly I went and I managed the best prone position I could muster (not like I regularly practice prone shooting!) and for just a moment I was locked on and I squeezed that Rem. Model Seven trigger. I was genuinely surprised when she took off running! I corked off three running shots and then my buddy said, "It went down!" Turns out I hit her in the lungs and the bullet didn't open, but angled up and took off a plate-sized piece of hide from her shoulder. She just piled up after that run.

I told my buddy that this bit of action ruined a perfectly crappy day I had going!

He was happy to have the meat, and I'll keep at it through tomorrow, possibly the last Saturday. I filled my tag last year on the last Saturday of the season. i get stubborn.

Then I hope the snow hold off so I can get anther month of pheasant hunting with the shaggy beasts.

10475437_10204602447333778_5570152888554844460_o.jpg

I know this one is still around somewhere in WI. We never spotted him during the season but my bro got a pic of him this week.

I had to move the screen over to the right to see the deer in the photo. I kept thinking where is this deer? lol

Nice rack on that boy!

That deer is in Waukesha Co. If i told you where you would never believe it!

Have another real big one on one of our places in Fond Du Lac Co but don't have a good pic of him yet.

Back