Day spent with the dogs

gettinbirdie

I've been working alot this season and haven't really had much opportunities in the field to bird hunt. I finally got out with my brother and our gsp`s this week. Last spring, I acquired a property for birdhunting so we made the 4 1/2 hr ride the night before. We got in late so we decided to sleep in till about 8 and fix a good breakfast before getting started. We got on the property and started hunting about 930 am. It was super cold and windy. We ran those dogs till 330 , stopping once or twice for short snack breaks. My brother had his GPS collar on his female- the dogs logged 28 miles. We were pretty tired ourselves. The dogs managed to point 12 covies. 4 of them flushed before we got into position. There is the remains of an old railroad in the back of the property that has been fenced on both sides so the cows don't go in there. It ran for about 1 mile long. There was no railroad there, the wood and metal was salvaged at some point. It was very overgrown and the fences on both sides were overgrown- it made for some awesome looking cover. We slipped under the 7 strand wire and started walking into the wind and we kept getting into singles, doubles and triples- I have no idea how many singles and doubles the dogs pointed- maybe 15? It made time fly by! I think cause we were hunting midday, these birds were covies that were strung out in the ditches on both sides of track feeding. It sure felt good to get out with the dogs for the day! It made the ride home a little easier! We can't wait to head back. I can't get picture to post from this tablet!! I'll post when I figure out what the problem is.

Back