Cull or No Cull

BleuBijou

What do you think of this practice? Good or Not so Good????

Defiantly not in favor!

mind explaining this to me? I am familiar with the word, but not sure what context you're talking about. pardon my ignorance.

mind explaining this to me? I am familiar with the word, but not sure what context you're talking about. pardon my ignorance.

This is a practice that has gone on for years in all breeds of dogs,

When breeding dogs only the best puppys are kept, the rest are culled or destroyed.

Take Labs, over 100 years ago only blacks were allowed to survive as yellows were culled because the looked to much like hound dogs, so they say!

I cull but not like this, If the dog doesnt make the grade it is sold under limited registration, and cannot every be bred,

Sometimes pups just dont gain weight or a clef-palate, are put down as they would cost hundreds of dollars to fix and not fair to there owner or the dog, you want them all to be strong, but stuff happens,

Kinda like the wild only the strong survive.

I would only put puppies down if there were deformities or health issues. As far as bad traits, wrong colors, bad confirmation , I would request the dog be fixed and no registration. There are good homes for these dogs. I don't like culling, but I won't condem the professionals that have a strict program. It is just not my personal choice. Thanx for all your input!

bleub

well put, i think like you do on this point. an attempt should be made to find homes for these dogs, that are healthy. :thumbsup:

Michael Jordan was cut as a junior in high school...geez...I would like to meet the trainer that can actually tell if a dog is good or not when a young pup. I suppose this is all based on a specific age. I agree that an unhealthy or deformed pup may need to be put down; however, to use a judgment based on anything else is not my style.

Michael Jordan was cut as a junior in high school...geez...I would like to meet the trainer that can actually tell if a dog is good or not when a young pup. I suppose this is all based on a specific age. I agree that an unhealthy or deformed pup may need to be put down; however, to use a judgment based on anything else is not my style.[/QUOTEG

Good point and I certainly agree that you can't tell what kind of dog you have at that age. Serious health problems may be a reasonable time to put an animal down. Putting them down b/c they're not pointing before they're 6 months old seems ridiculous. Culling for better bloodlines shouldn't be necessary. There are homes willing to take the dogs that a breeder doesn't want to use for stock.

Michael Jordan was cut as a junior in high school...geez...I would like to meet the trainer that can actually tell if a dog is good or not when a young pup. I suppose this is all based on a specific age. I agree that an unhealthy or deformed pup may need to be put down; however, to use a judgment based on anything else is not my style.[/QUOTEG

Good point and I certainly agree that you can't tell what kind of dog you have at that age. Serious health problems may be a reasonable time to put an animal down. Putting them down b/c they're not pointing before they're 6 months old seems ridiculous. Culling for better bloodlines shouldn't be necessary. There are homes willing to take the dogs that a breeder doesn't want to use for stock.

I agree there is a place for those dogs,

If any of you do alot of Elk hunting, you see alot of different bulls, some with beautiful racks and some with racks that are not symitrical, i am a meat hunter and if i get the chance i will take down the one with the bad horns, Why , same thing as dogs you want to breed the best to the best. you dont want that bull with the messed up rack breeding those genes to a bunch of cows, then you get a bunch of bulls looking the same way,

I had a breeder friend tell me once "Breeding is not for the faint of heart"

Bitch had ten pups in 2008. Runt female had fever day after shots and bitch had too many pups to feed so I culled the female. My wife felt the smaller male was not getting enough and she started bottle feeding. He survived and seemed to be thriving. Sold him cheap to a friend and we were training up to about four months. Dog got sick and we discovered it basically had no kidneys. The bigger they get the more they need the kidneys. I beleive the mother had rejected this pup tho my wife thought he just was getting leftovers. It was a lot harder to put him down at 4 months than 4 days and it will not happen again.
5 of other 8 pups were NAVHDA tested. All 5 scored Prize I, 111 avg out of 112 perfect score points. Yes, I believe in culling defects, but it is certainly ok to neuter substandard animals for whatever reason and sell or give them away.

thanks all for the info. It's pretty much along the lines of what I was assuming.

interesting topic. informative responses too.

this was a good topic. I was waiting for things to get a bit heated up over this but all the post were very well put. I myself know some animals need to be put down but when it comes to pups I'm to soft hearted and could not do this. This is the reason why I do not breed dogs. I just like to pick out the winners. :thumbsup:

Back