Crops will be up!!!

I started this post and have nothing new too ad. Crops state wide a no go for harvest. Corn in November down around 2 bucks a bushel. Spend your had earned cash wisely and wait. Spoke with farmer again and he was sad. Low crop price. Crops up for hunting. Stay home, it will be worth the wait!!!!

Ha! This is the funniest post I've seen. I'm canceling my trip tomorrow....... ;)

I started this post and have nothing new too ad. Crops state wide a no go for harvest. Corn in November down around 2 bucks a bushel. Spend your had earned cash wisely and wait. Spoke with farmer again and he was sad. Low crop price. Crops up for hunting. Stay home, it will be worth the wait!!!!

I think you are adding some valuable information. It is important to consider the hunters that have their annual hunt locked in a don't have an option to move dates based on crop harvest status. Other folks too have to take off work well in advance and cannot make changes.

So the stay home thing is really not an option for many.

What I will say and notice now are some variables different from last year. It can be summed up by saying that harvest rates improved dramatically as the season progressed and as crop harvest progressed. In terms of fair chase pheasant hunting, this will ALWAYS be a factor which should be used in managing our own and others expectations, not whether we will make a trip or not.

So based on the more recent crop harvest report, the harvest is behind last years harvest, not by much. the bigger factor leading to the unknown is the price of grain which is low, low low. I can tell you that I know if a farmer does not have anywhere to put that grain there will be more that may very well leave it standing over winter and combine in the spring. this would be a boon for wildlife and maybe a bust for hunters. So what do we have here.....Railing shipping bottleneck due to oil boom in North Dakota, grain glut from last years bumper crop, anticipated record grain crop this year, limited storage facilities, record low grain prices and anticipated to remain low for a long time??? Can anybody say, enter stage right, CRP?

My milo was at 25% moisture last week and needs to be at 14% or less to harvest. I would like to have it out before opener but we'll see. It is selling for $2.43 a bushel.

MAN, you gotta come just to see it to believe it! It is all part of the game brothers.

Last edited:
MY SOLUTION----GO OUT FOR OPENER AND STAY OUT UNTIL DEC.:eek::thumbsup::cheers:

Not everyone has that option, obviously.

Ive been out for the opener the last 6 years, and havent hunted. (usually fish) I want to hunt later on when the crowds are down, and its cooler for the dogs.

That doesnt stop me from going out, though..

THat is a dream photo

A really good dream. Labs, Labs, Labs.....although I am partial to the Black Lab color. Still...Love this Pic.
:coolpics:
:thumbsup:
nice labfest! with that many noses, you can alternate them and keep fresh feet on the ground all day long.

I agree, the corn may not be 1005 out till Dec 1! Most by 15th. Still depends on moisture. They are picking beans here and there and that should accelerate now that the rain has cleared and wether to get cooler. Ducks and scouting tomorrow.

david0311

Just might do that--only stayed out until Dec. 7th or 8th last year--da came home was 27 below in Aberdeen--(WIMPED OUT:eek: plus time for a conjugal visit) :D--

Will try to get in a decent # of days in this year :rolleyes: wife will be at Arizona house until X-Mas

Small snow flakes around Watertown this morning

Hey guys, expect crop conditions to change a little quicker in the NE part of the state. Some area's froze last night, not a hard freeze but should be enough to get the corn to start drying down a little quicker. Beans are being harvested up until the recent rains, once it dries up the beans will come out fast. If your farmers have good grassy/weedy fence lines around their bean fields this may be the hot spot to hunt opening weekend especially if CRP is next to the bean fields. Corn fields will be tough even if they dry down some. Most farmers plant right up to the border of the next field, so if the corn hasn't been touched, theres no way to block and the guys walking the fields will have it tough to shoot over the corn to hit the birds. Makes you wish for the old days when farmers use to pick corn.

Just rememeber any day out hunting is better than being at work..

SDViking

The growing season ends tonight. We are going to freeze hard tonight and we are ready for that now. It should be a help in drying the crop.

Corn is drying down

Gotta love this time of year! Attached is a picture of my little corn field drying down, the view I see as I walk along the lilocs n shelterbelt to the field. I can hear the birds a cackling out there.... SDViking

Last edited:
I just spent the weekend at the cabin in Chamberlain. Some bean fields are gone already, more going down today on the way home. Some corn has been chopped. Only ran across one field that had been combined, but I expect corn harvest will kick in shortly.

One thing I could not believe, was the quantity and quality of the corn in Lyman county. Not sure what they plant for population , but the ears are a full 12 inches long! One farmer in Presho indicated he thought there was 160-175 bu corn in Lyman county. Amazing.. I chatted with a farmer in Plankinton this morning over breakfast. He wasn't quite that optimistic about the yield, but said it would be exceptional, compared to previous years.

I read an article in the paper that describes a plastic corn-holding storage balloon- about $1000.

The storage balloon is 10' wide and 300 ' long - sealed at one end after filliing. Good idea if you need grain storage and don't want to invest in a structure to hold the current crop...

I read an article in the paper that describes a plastic corn-holding storage balloon- about $1000.

The storage balloon is 10' wide and 300 ' long - sealed at one end after filliing. Good idea if you need grain storage and don't want to invest in a structure to hold the current crop...

Seen 30 of them in Kennebec last weekend... full.. Not sure what theyre full of..

Seen 30 of them in Kennebec last weekend... full.. Not sure what theyre full of..

They are probably filled with wheat. Bagging is a good way to solve short term storage. Grain has to be dry to go in a bag, it is a result of not having affordable transportation. Bag it now hopefully ship it when it is cheaper to ship.

I just spoke with the private land we hunt on this fall. Both of the farmers...6000 acres total, Both said NOT to come out for opening weekend. Harvest will not begin until late October. Looking at the USDA Harvest data, it concurred the farmers report. Last year with the numbers way down, we waited until the harvest was done. Hit SD the last weekend of November and limited out 5 days in a row with 150 birds. All of us agree and are going to wait this year as well. Do not waste ur money and time for the opener. Sorry guys!!

Just an fyi. Crops are up pretty much every year :DThey may get the beans out, and a little corn. But tis the norm every single year in the upper Midwest. Then it leaves over night it seems. Always still good hunting.

Farmers holding onto a few acres of CRP not looking so weak afterall.

Of course it depends on when the contracts where signed, but most signed over five years ago have been a money loser. Folks remember those things.

I have a piece that comes out in '16. It pays a little over half what a contract signed today would pay.

New contracts and those signed in the last couple of years look good now, time will tell.

Back