crops aren't getting planted

benelli-banger

I don't think it is an isolated thing...crops are not getting planted. Very wet. more rain coming. some farmers I have talked to plan on putting in some cover crops later in the summer...just thinking about the hunting this fall, and also, the food sources for the birds come winter...

Probably means a very late fall harvest.

Fall forecast/road count is late summer; lots of moisture = lots of weeds to hide. Quite a turnaround from the drought,of a couple years ago.

SD 4% corn planted on last report. Southern MN way behind as well. Forecast doesn't look conducive to catching up. Late harvest and possibly some switching to beans.

SD 4% corn planted on last report. Southern MN way behind as well. Forecast doesn't look conducive to catching up. Late harvest and possibly some switching to beans.

Indiana, Illinois and Iowa are all way behind in planting too. a dry week or two would make a big difference.
guessing we might see some short season crop varieties possibly as well.

Current Planted vs 5 Year Average
Iowa 48% 76%
Illinois 11% 82%
Indiana 6% 57%
Minnesota 21% 65%
Missouri 52% 87%
Nebraska 46% 72%
South Dakota 4% 54%
Ohio 4% 47%

Nearest analog year is 2013 when we had over 5,000,000 acres of corn and beans that didn't get planted, compared to a little over 1,000,000 acres last 3 years. Not sure what that means for pheasant reproduction, but down here quail do better in moderately dry years.

From the sounds of it, conditions sound perfect for this fall’s season. I agree, the winter will be hard with less food and cover, but I’m not gonna worry about that till there is something to worry about. I’m thinking more cover and plenty of bugs is a great thing.

I would hope that the crops get planted...farmers need to be operational...if family farms start failing, their replacement is not hunter-friendly IMO...(basically, corporate farms or whatever you want to call them)

The corn crops here in Michigan get planted in a few weeks. If the crops here can do good, I see no reason a late planting in SD would be any different. Admittedly, I don’t know the first thing about farming, but if the crops go in late and also come off late, that could only be a good thing for wildlife in general as it provides cover and food longer, correct?

Crop insurance deadline for corn is around 5/25 and for beans around 6/10...meaning if you don't get those crops planted by then, you start losing crop insurance coverage...bottom line, those dates aren't arbitrary, they correlate with typical dates in the fall where freezing starts to occur...lots of corn is 110 day, and some gets down closer to 90 or 95...but some of this stuff just can't be tinkered with too much, it's nature's way...

like the statistic said in the ealier post, SD corn is typically 54% planted by now...it is at 4% this year...that is startling!

a farmer who farms 3000 acres, for example, probably has close to $1,000,000 in input costs NOT INCLUDING LAND RENT....so, a hail storm could really ruin your day...or heavy wind...or early frost...or drought...so that crop insurance is important.

Talked to one contact today that said wheat planting going good but is late. Not on to corn yet. The good thing is with today’s equipment can get a bunch in quickly.

El Nino is holding on and looks to be a wet spring and summer. Most northern guys are planning on beans all ready. Price with tariff war and lack of contract increases is gonna make it tough this year.

spoke to a few farmers yesterday...they haven't planted a seed yet. Corn deadline for crop insurance is 5/25 and 5/31, depending on the county. To make matters worse, the price of beans sucks so the incentive isn't there to plant more beans than what was planned....deadline for beans is around 6/10...more rain is forecast.

Update from one of my contacts. Wheat is done for many. Some others have gotten some corn in. No beans yet.

statewide SD has planted 19% of corn vs average for this time of year of 76% over the past 5 years...the wheat country further W and NW hasn't been as wet...I suspect the traditional corn belt in E SD is only around 5% planted...if that.

Back