crops aren't getting planted

They definitely shifted to shorter maturity corn, so harvest could be normal, I guess weather will dictate. Normally they are after beans first, but since a lot of beans didn't get planted, the corn could get harvested earlier than we would expect...I hope it sits later to give the birds a place to hide. My land has no corn planted adjacent to it this year, normally it has corn on 2 sides, but it was too wet. My farmer buddy who normally plants 2000 acres of corn got about 800 acres planted...about the norm for the area I do most of my hunting. No matter, it will be a fun fall! My pup will be 6 months old when I depart for my first sharptail hunt in ND...can't wait! Was just up there for a funeral, it looks really good...they were spared all the wet weather and blizzards and such...in fact, they are still dry...fwiw, in the areas that did get corn planted, a good amount of those acres will not be harvestable due to the wet conditions...the actual crop that is put in bins will be less than what one would expect after factoring that in.

most of the damage is already done, as far as pheasant mortality and lack of reproduction. this extends from SD all the way through KS.
my farmer friend in Kansas says he got nothing planted on his 600 acres. water has been standing in his fields since October.
a late frost may help some crops meet maturity, lots will be cut for silage, those that did get crops planted, some got flooded out later.
so far........he reports no broods in sight, neither pheasant nor quail. lots of secondary roads have been washed out, culverts are gone as well.

In the areas I hunt most often, it seems like little of anything has been planted. But I think the hatch should be good w/ weeds/grass being so lush. Hopefully the weather is OK for good brood success. It'll be interesting, late in the season, to see whether birds bunch up more than normal in an effort to be closer to the fewer picked corn fields.

Growing up i always would hear my dad say, 'knee high by the 4th of July', referring to corn height. Even with the late and wet spring in Twin Cities area, it looks like we will just make that. Could someone share if that adage is out of date, because in recent years it has been chest high by 4th of July.

I think it is pretty common nowadays for corn to be shoulder high or higher by the 4th...maybe not this year! Farming technology has done major things in the past 50 years...ground that was only thought to be only OK pasture ground a few decades ago today can produce respectable crops...

Yup Might be good for killing a few birds. But Pheasants need grain over the Winter! Your Quote not mine! But I’m not gonna worry about that till there is something to worry about

Yup Might be good for killing a few birds. But Pheasants need grain over the Winter! Your Quote not mine! But I’m not gonna worry about that till there is something to worry about

are you talking to someone in particular? pheasants need food, especially in winter...very true. Hope that isn't controversial! I think about 40-50% of the corn acres got planted in my areas...there will be some food for the birds. And there should be some food plots that got, or get planted, as well...

Last edited:
Hey Benelli
Don be so thin skinned. Its only a forum! Im only reporting what I see. Its not about individuals in my life!! Oh by the way food plots unless you have a Big No Trespass signs on your land does no good for the average Joe!

I may be thin skinned, but I definitely am dense, as I cannot for my life follow your posts...but we're fellow pheasant hunters, so we'll tip our whisky cups to the ringneck pheasant!

Last edited:

If you grab the quote you are responding to, as I did in this case, it just becomes clear to all reading this who or what you are responding to...that's all I was asking earlier when I asked if you were talking to someone in particular...not sure how just wanting to follow your train of thought makes me thin skinned....but like I said, whiskey toast to the pheasant, and two for the farmers!

Last edited:
Moedogee, are you seeing any pheasants as you are out driving the backroads? Let's get something concrete accomplished here...you're there at ground zero...seeing any chicks? I got a report from a farmer yesterday, and he said the broods he is seeing are pretty large, but the chicks are still small, suggesting later hatches...

Although crops got a VERY late start, they are closing the gap each week to the norm. If weather holds, I believe we will end up close to normal harvest dates.

Field Crops Report: Corn condition rated 2 percent very poor, 6 poor, 28 fair, 45 good, and 19 excellent. Corn silking was 85 percent, behind 98 last year and 96 for the five-year average. Dough was 25 percent, well behind 69 last year and 51 average. Dented was 1 percent, behind 10 last year, and near 5 average.
Soybean condition rated 2 percent very poor, 8 poor, 37 fair, 40 good, and 13 excellent. Soybeans blooming was 83 percent, behind 96 last year and 94 average. Setting pods was 47 percent, well behind 79 last year and 76 average.

SOUTH DAKOTA CROP PROGRESS AND CONDITION
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. August 19, 2019 - For the week ending August 18, 2019, there were
4.0 days suitable for fieldwork, according to the USDA's National Agricultural Statistics Service. Topsoil moisture supplies rated 0 percent very short, 1 short, 70 adequate, and 29 surplus. Subsoil moisture supplies rated 0 percent very short, 1 short, 69 adequate, and 30 surplus.
Field Crops Report: Corn condition rated 2 percent very poor, 7 poor, 29 fair, 46 good, and 16 excellent. Corn silking was 94 percent, behind 100 last year, and near 98 for the five-year average. Dough was 39 percent, well behind 86 last year and 70 average. Dented was 2 percent, well behind 34 last year, and behind 16 average.
Soybean condition rated 2 percent very poor, 8 poor, 34 fair, 41 good, and 15 excellent. Soybeans blooming was 90 percent, behind 99 last year and 97 average. Setting pods was 59 percent, well behind 90 last year and 87 average.

Back