cmr refuge pheasant hunting

Goosemaster

I've never done well on pheasant in the cmr. Does anyone have any tips on finding roosters in the cmr, reasonably close to 191?Ive done ok on sharpies, but maybe not in the right location on the cmr for pheasant.The cover looks good, but no grain where I was.

Can anybody comment on the best area to find turkey, on the cmr?

Maybe post this in the Montana thread might get some response?

Montana the hardest state for me to find public with Merriam's turkeys in the Eastern part of state all people I talk to say go to NW MT way to far... CMRNWR does hold birds wear ,& if worth hunting??? SE MT holds birds but again if worth hunting them???

Nebraska south dakota Kansas Wyoming be easier to locate turkeys in my experience Montana always tuff...

Goosemaster, Not sure why your looking for pheasants on CMR, there are isolated birds, but not really pheasant habitat. Some turkeys, not a lot. Private ground near Musselshell river holds some, they scatter out over the breaks a bit at times. You from Montana, if so, I might be able to put you on some turkeys about an hour from Billings, getting to be a nuisance on the ranch I lease for hunting, I think your allowed 2 per year in region 5....

Thanks for the info. I pass through the cmr every year , on my way up north, and I stop to exercise my dog.I have seen a few turkey tracks there, one with a coyote right on its heals, but no pheasant . I live in Montana , and usually turkey hunt out east. I like to pheasant hunt in central, but access is getting hard

Small owner- I know the southeast has turkey, and I've hunted it several times. I haven't done real well out there.that powder river area is good, but leased to outfitters, and very hard to get on. I did get a nice tom out there several years ago.

Small owner- I know the southeast has turkey, and I've hunted it several times. I haven't done real well out there.that powder river area is good, but leased to outfitters, and very hard to get on. I did get a nice tom out there several years ago.

All I hunt is public land or lands open to public powder river been known for years that refuge is huge we hunted sage & sharptail grouse by a section of cmr eastern side... Looking at turkey distribution looks like not a big population there... I wanted to get a snow white Merriam's outta the ponderosa pine hills but had bad luck 1 year & bad weather 2 others I'll try some more riparian habitat next time easier to pattern but I love the ponderosa pine woods hunt...

Good luck on ur search of the cmr ...

I'll be out in MT next spring gotta mark MT off the list long beard wise...

All the ranches from broadus to miles city, on the powder river, are leased to a company called powder river outfitters. It is basically impossible to get on, without paying big money, which isn't worth it.Most of the big toms I've gotten have been on private ranches, but I didn't pay.My expience with public land turkey hunting is, too many hunters, birds are tough to get.There was a big fire in that Ashland area a few years ago.

Goosemaster, Not sure why your looking for pheasants on CMR, there are isolated birds, but not really pheasant habitat. Some turkeys, not a lot. Private ground near Musselshell river holds some, they scatter out over the breaks a bit at times. You from Montana, if so, I might be able to put you on some turkeys about an hour from Billings, getting to be a nuisance on the ranch I lease for hunting, I think your allowed 2 per year in region 5....
thanks for the offer, pm me, I'll come out. I think, if I spent a few days, I could locate some on the cmr, but I'm usually pheasant , or goose hunting, and turkey hunting usually takes time.

All the ranches from broadus to miles city, on the powder river, are leased to a company called powder river outfitters. It is basically impossible to get on, without paying big money, which isn't worth it.Most of the big toms I've gotten have been on private ranches, but I didn't pay.My expience with public land turkey hunting is, too many hunters, birds are tough to get.There was a big fire in that Ashland area a few years ago.

I've talked to a guide the taxidermist in broadus work for them same story every time I've seen him no birds on public no gobbles birds not breeding etc. Powder river taxidermist had a Lil issue trying to buy a license there won't go back... Stoneville. Saloon next time...

A lot of turkey hunters in Montana is a couple tons of public to hunt birds on in that same general area don't have to be powder river.. I hunted by ashalnd just after the fire there was another after almost took out the whitetail cabin I rented...

I've had crap weather 2 times if the weather ever nice & I'm there I know some killer areas that hold birds road gumbo can't get to em if not nice unless Ihave a 4x4 and balls i lack a big 4x4... Turkey habitat been worked on & enhanced for years now ...

Ez birds teach u nothing hunt wise hunting I've learned much from gobblers I've not killed...

Fall turkey not the same... Spring is wear its at ...

Happy hunting man good luck...

Thanks- same to you.There is a boatload of public land around Ashland , and I've seen birds, and shot one good one, after a lot of work.Spring is better for sure. They are really spread out in fall.Look for the real deep cuts, coming down to the creeks.There are also some pheasant in that country.Im going to try the cmr this fall for turkey. The habitat looks good on the west side, but if there are a lot around, you would think you would see some. I might have to take my dog for a sharp tail hike,and look for sign.Ive seen a few tracks down by the Missouri .

Thanks- same to you.There is a boatload of public land around Ashland , and I've seen birds, and shot one good one, after a lot of work.Spring is better for sure. They are really spread out in fall.Look for the real deep cuts, coming down to the creeks.There are also some pheasant in that country.Im going to try the cmr this fall for turkey. The habitat looks good on the west side, but if there are a lot around, you would think you would see some. I might have to take my dog for a sharp tail hike,and look for sign.Ive seen a few tracks down by the Missouri .

Yes sir I seen a pheasant up there was in goofy terrain could a seen a ruffed grouse sharptails turkey or Hun's lol

Along that WY border look nice...

Along the MO should hold bird's... Spring they spread out fall they flock up for food ez to locate useually moms & jennies together Jakes & toms in bachelor groups...

Turkey hunting is my passion spring time no fall hunting for me lol

The biggest gobbler I ever got was in the fall, out in a grain field. I was able to put a sneak on him, because a cut came right up to where he was.He weighed 25 lbs, and was a big hog.This was in eastern mt.I don't see as many in the fall, they don't gobble much, if at all.

The biggest gobbler I ever got was in the fall, out in a grain field. I was able to put a sneak on him, because a cut came right up to where he was.He weighed 25 lbs, and was a big hog.This was in eastern mt.I don't see as many in the fall, they don't gobble much, if at all.

Nice that a big Merriam's... I go by spur length not weight up here in MN WI MO IA 25 pound gobblers are normal but we have corn beans & oak hills all over... 1.25 inch spur & bigger stud...

If u locate a bachelor group of birds they start to try to settle pecking order out & if u lucky can hear em gobble & fighting purr doing so need a pretty warm fall most times for that...

I'm highly mobile when turkey hunting till I find wear the birds wanna be I love the sneak & peak mobile hunt style... Cant do the sit & wait thing very long ...

I call pretty well so if u can kee kee run & gobble u can probably get birds to sound of most any time of year... Not talking shock gobbles they don't do that in the fall...

Last edited:
Thanks- spring is better for sure, but I shot a 25 pounder a few falls ago, got lucky I guess, but I scouted hard.I always take a break from pheasant hunting, to rest my dog, and turkey, and water foul are great to hunt.

Back