Charity Pheasant Hunt to Support Military Families

USF

I am hosting a charity Pheasant Hunt December 6-10, 2013 in Winner, South Dakota.

The charity is called the Unit Scholarship Fund (USF). The USF awards merit-based post-secondary scholarships to the children and spouses of one of the nation's most elite military fighting forces.

This hunt will be fully catered and offer exclusive guided access on more than 10,000 acres of prime wild pheasant hunting land.

If you would like more detailed information, please e-mail me at: bowen@unitscholarshipfund.org

Thank You. Bill

What branch and unit of the military is qualified to apply for the scholarships? Thanks and thanks for your efforts.

Also please tell us who you are, your contact information, etc. Thanks.

Last edited:
The charity is called the Unit Scholarship Fund (USF).

The USF offers merit based post-secondary scholarships to the children and spouses of the soldiers assigned to one of the nation's most elite military (Army) fighting forces.

As with the soldiers we support, the USF is an all volunteer outfit. Our web site is getting new content, but it currently has good information right now that will explain who the USF is and about our mission. Web site address is: http/unitscholarshipfund.net. Or just search "Unit Scholarship Fund"

If you would like more detailed information about the hunt, please directly e-mail me and I will send you an information paper: bowen@unitscholarshipfund.org

Horrible day today for our Navy brothers/sisters at the Navy Yard in DC. Pray for them.

Thank You. Bill

david0311

The charity is called the Unit Scholarship Fund (USF).

The USF offers merit based post-secondary scholarships to the children and spouses of the soldiers assigned to one of the nation's most elite military (Army) fighting forces.

As with the soldiers we support, the USF is an all volunteer outfit. Our web site is getting new content, but it currently has good information right now that will explain who the USF is and about our mission. Web site address is: http/unitscholarshipfund.net. Or just search "Unit Scholarship Fund"

If you would like more detailed information about the hunt, please directly e-mail me and I will send you an information paper: bowen@unitscholarshipfund.org

Horrible day today for our Navy brothers/sisters at the Navy Yard in DC. Pray for them.

Thank You. Bill

Do I understand then that only Army dependents, and those who were in only certain designated units are eligible for the scholarships??

Yes Sir. The USF was formed in 1993 by a group of unit veterans of the Battle of Mogadishu as a way to provide some support to the kids of their friends who were wounded or KIA.

Since 1993, the Board of Directors has averaged in size of about 15 volunteers who are all former unit members. We continue with the original mission, but have expanded it to award merit based scholarship to the children and spouses of all former and current unit members. Our expense ratio is 1.5%. 98.5% of all donated funds goes directly to the merit based scholarship awards.

To go beyond this in scope and size would require a large full time paid support staff. Well beyond what we can reasonably manage.

Thank you, Bill

Is the purpose of this post to inform the community of the upcoming charity hunt, to solicit donations or something else? I guess I agree with DakotaZeb and would like to see some more information. I know you stated your college scholarships are for the family members of the Army unit you represent but what about the charity pheasant hunt? Open to everyone or just the members/family members of this unit? Also can you tell me what unit is "America's most Elite Fighting Force"?

Last edited:
To answer the above, the purpose of my post is to inform the pheasant hunting community of a unique opportunity to join a great hunt and support a worthy cause. Due to forum restrictions, the detailed information paper cannot be added as a downloadable attachment. I must be directly contact at this e-mail address: bowen@unitscholarshipfund.org

Basic hunt description: Arrival on Dec 6th into South Dakota. If you fly into Pierre (primary) or Rapid City (alternate), a USF Board member will pick you up and transport you to the lodge that we are partnered with near the town of Winner, SD. If you drive, we will meet you in the town of Winner at a designated location. Once there, the 3-day hunt is all-inclusive (meals, lodging, ammo, bird cleaning, guides, dogs, trap shooting, open bar, etc). Three days of hunting will culminate the evening of the 9th with a closing supper and awards for shooting and hunting competitions. After a farewell breakfast on the morning of the 10th, the USF will transport you back to the airport to begin your journey home.

I hope this answers most of the questions out there. All other details can be e-mailed to you. This is the first hunt I have ever volunteered to sponsor, so am a bit new at this. Thank you to all who have sent me an e-mail requesting details.

Dakotazeb,

There are two donation levels. $5,000 and $7,000. The $5K level is for the hunter who has most of the gear the need. The $7K level is for the hunter who wants all the gear they need waiting for them at the lodge. There is also a commemorative Benelli available for $3K to all hunters. Each donation level is completely explained in the information paper. The USF is a 501(c)(3), non-profit, tax exempt organization. Each hunter will be provided appropriate tax deduction documents

I expect 10(+) hunters this year. Next year I expect around 20. By year four, I will hit my cap of 30. To answer a previous question, I am currently in NC, but have strong ties to the Winner area.

Thanks for the questions, Bill

Last edited:
USF, would you care if we moved this thread to the "Member Announcement & Events" forum. It's probably more appropriate there.

In all honesty, I think with the prices you are quoting for the hunt that this forum will probable not do you much good. That is a lot of bucks for a 3 day hunt regardless of the cause it supports. You are going to need some large corporate sponsors, not your average pheasant hunter like most of us on this site.

david0311

To answer the above, the purpose of my post is to inform the pheasant hunting community of a unique opportunity to join a great hunt and support a worthy cause. Due to forum restrictions, the detailed information paper cannot be added as a downloadable attachment. I must be directly contact at this e-mail address: bowen@unitscholarshipfund.org

Basic hunt description: Arrival on Dec 6th into South Dakota. If you fly into Pierre (primary) or Rapid City (alternate), a USF Board member will pick you up and transport you to the lodge that we are partnered with near the town of Winner, SD. If you drive, we will meet you in the town of Winner at a designated location. Once there, the 3-day hunt is all-inclusive (meals, lodging, ammo, bird cleaning, guides, dogs, trap shooting, open bar, etc). Three days of hunting will culminate the evening of the 9th with a closing supper and awards for shooting and hunting competitions. After a farewell breakfast on the morning of the 10th, the USF will transport you back to the airport to begin your journey home.

I hope this answers most of the questions out there. All other details can be e-mailed to you. This is the first hunt I have ever volunteered to sponsor, so am a bit new at this. Thank you to all who have sent me an e-mail requesting details.

Will be guiding at lodge in that area entire season--where is event being held--??

FYI all: $5,000.00 minimum per hunter for three days/nights (full lodge service).

Thanks for the move to the appropriate forum area.

We realize the price is a bit higher than normal and understand that this hunt is not for everyone. Our partners, the Lazy J Grand Lodge, are working hard with us to provide a special hunt. We are purposely keeping this hunt small so that we can provide our guest donors a very unique experience.

Thank you all for your help and interest.

Thanks for the move to the appropriate forum area.

We realize the price is a bit higher than normal and understand that this hunt is not for everyone. Our partners, the Lazy J Grand Lodge, are working hard with us to provide a special hunt. We are purposely keeping this hunt small so that we can provide our guest donors a very unique experience.

Thank you all for your help and interest.

And how much of the fee goes to Lazy J ?

The Lazy J family is a patriotic and generous partner. Cost are as low as possible so that the USF can maximize the donations into the funds mission.

Back