Changing fixed chokes on a 16 ga.

huntsem

Can anyone recommend a gunsmith who can alter the choke constriction on an older model german made 16 gauge? (Bergsmuller & Sohne) and an idea of what it might cost?
I think the constriction of the gun is mod & full and I'd prefer imp cyl in the first barrel and maybe mod. in the second.

Last edited:
Check out the 16ga.com forum, there are plenty of people in the know who can help you. It is a fun site to visit. Good luck.

Can anyone recommend a gunsmith who can alter the choke constriction on an older model german made 16 gauge? (Bergsmuller & Sohne) and an idea of what it might cost?
I think the constriction of the gun is mod & full and I'd prefer imp cyl in the first barrel and maybe mod. in the second.

Go to shotgunworld.com The guy that is the moderator of the gunsmithing/restoration forum, Mike Orlen, is reasonable and fast according to many on that website. I believe he charges $50 a barrel to open the chokes, but check his price list which is on that forum.

Last edited:
Orlen will also advise on whether the idea is a sound one once he measures the barrel(s).

He changed the modified choke to improved in the right barrel of a 12 Sauer for me.
I had the left slightly opened to .030 considering that one can always remove more...later.
Deciding what loads will be required to be used can influence the decision of choking constriction, imho, with some older scatterguns.

Orlen has those who recommend him and those who don't.
The first are in the majority.

I have no expertise in this department, but my intial thought was that any gunsmith with the proper equiptment would be capable of that type of modification.

Mike Orlen was terrible for me, would not recommend him. Any local gunsmith should be able to open the chokes. A local shop here will do them for $35, as long as barrels are not chrome lined. I had my 16 A5 opened to LM, works great for everything.

Try Ahlmans, think its morristown Minnesota. I haven't had any shotgun work done there but the 7 rifles I've had work done on and all my friends that shoot p-dogs with me have had excellent results. Turn around time is slow I think because they're so busy, but the work seems worth the wait. Used 3 other smiths over the years and they don't compare. Good luck

Value?

Those are fairly collectable firearms, have you had it appraised? I'd love to see a picture of it. The Germans make cool guns.

Thanks for the responses.

PTM, I never had the gun appraised.
I'll post a photo later.
A veteran brought the gun back from Germany.
I think the Bursmuller & Sohne gun factory was bombed out during ww2.
This gun is well made, has light scroll engraving on the outside of the side plates and bottom. The engraved manufacture i.d. on the barrels and a small stag emblem on the rib between the barrels appears to be inlayed with gold. Fit of metal parts is very accurate and smooth. Blueing is pretty well worn.

I like the gun but don't use it very much as the choke patterns are pretty tight.
(.645 & .635, imp. mod & full?) The original design and pitch angle of the stock and barrel looks like the gun might have been made to use by a stander on european pheasant drives who would be shooting at oncoming high flying birds. I made some modifications to the stock to make it fit me better for shooting at flushing birds but even the first trigger tends to hit birds really hard at 30 yds.. It's significantly lighter than the average 12 ga. double and I think would also make for a good grouse gun if it had more open chokes.

Last edited:
Chokes

I threatened to have this same procedure done and eventually scrapped it. You have a much cooler project than I did. I had Midwest gun works redo a Browning 16 gauge citori with an oil finish, retighten the action, reblue, and put in a new trigger. They did a outstanding job. I think they will do fixed choke opening as well, might be worth a look. Can't wait to see the photo, you have a nice gun there. I want to say 115.00 a barrel, not cheap.

I had Mike Orlen open up a full choke on a Model 12 in 16 gauge about two
months ago. Total cost for opening it up to improved and lengthening the forcing cone was $110. Turnaround time was one week from Tulsa and back.

I have had Mike Orlen open the chokes on 4 older Merkel guns for me, Put tubes in 3 repeaters, and cut off a bulged barrel on an A5 and replace the front sight.
All work has been very acceptable and the cost modest. Turn around time is fantastic, usually 10-14 days total. He does give a discount to members of the Shotgunworld forum.

BobM

Back